Falling Skies Season 4, TV Show
  • Consistently throughout the show he has been principled and incapable of doing any wrong, which I've actually really enjoyed
  • Another issue with Falling Skies is the inability to write effectively for the supporting characters
  • I don't think any regular Falling Skies viewers are really interested in seeing an intergalactic war played out through the eyes of an angsty teenager
  • One of my favourite things about Falling Skies originally was how much faith Tom Mason's sons placed in him, and how obedient they were to his wishes
  • The cliffhanger ending also leaves me with a lot of hope for the fifth and final season, although I must admit that I am glad the end is in sight

• by James Roberts

There are not very many TV shows that I stick with all the way through to their fourth season, but Falling Skies has been one of them. I’m not entirely sure that it is a good show but there has been enough to keep me loyal and hopeful - and with the short season lengths it isn’t too much of a demand on your time.

One main criticism that is often levelled at the show is the apparent invincibility of the Mason family around whom the show is largely based. I, on the other hand, am actually quite pleased they have come so far relatively unscathed. In a time when most TV shows revel in their own commitment to being dark and shocking I find it unbelievably satisfying to watch a show that still believes in the traditional old happy ending.

I am also quite a big fan of Noah Wyle as Tom Mason. I really like old fashioned heroes that are seemingly unburdened with shadowy pasts or

complicated character flaws. Consistently throughout the show he has been principled and incapable of doing any wrong, which I’ve actually really enjoyed. However, Tom’s alter ego (with the strangely misappropriated title ‘The Vigilante’) in the early parts of this season was a little bit too cartoon-ish for my tastes.

There are other aspects of the show I have found a little too corny and soppy as well. Sometimes everything gets a little bit over-sentimental when the characters start spouting expository dialogue about family values or American history. But these are my minor niggles with the show.

By far the most frustrating thing with Falling Skies is the lack of direction it has suffered from since the Season One finale. Because the writers have seemed unsure of where to take the characters and the story the Espheni have lost nearly all of their menace. The invading aliens were full of mystique in the early stages, and capable of instilling great terror, but now it appears that their plan for invading Earth

was totally incoherent and incompetent.

Falling Skies is full of such instances - where they have failed to capitalise on the potential of all the good groundwork that had been laid.

Another issue with Falling Skies is the inability to write effectively for the supporting characters. Tom, Dan and Hal all do quite well. But just as Dai came to a rather disappointing end in Season 2, so too do a few of the other players in this season. Most of the sub plots and minor story arcs peter out into nothingness.

Matt is given a lot more to do than in previous seasons and that isn’t for the better either. It would be easy to criticise Maxim Knight’s performance but some of the blame must fall on the shoulders of the writers for giving him such unrealistic material to work with. I don’t think any regular Falling Skies viewers are really interested in seeing an intergalactic war played out through the eyes of an angsty teenager. His ...

• Falling Skies Season 4, TV Show
      storyline, and Ben’s, in this season work against everything I enjoyed so much when this show first began. One of my favourite things about Falling Skies originally was how much faith Tom Mason’s sons placed in him, and how obedient they were to his wishes. It was a breath of fresh air in the wake of so many other TV shows where the young protagonists were frustratingly irresponsible in times of crisis.

Despite the plot holes and the little anti-climaxes there is still plenty to enjoy in this Season. Maggie and Pope are still highly watchable, although it does seem like the writers have finally buckled and started chipping away at Pope’s anti- hero persona. I thought it had been highly commendable that through the second and third seasons they hadn’t taken the easy path and written in some heart warming transformative shift from Pope’s nasty selfish character into a new and more easily digestible benevolent hero type. Colin Cunningham’s portrayal of Pope has rightly been one of

the most applauded aspects of the show but the writers took a misstep here by giving him Mira Sorvino to play against. Her character is played badly and adds nothing of value whatsoever.

I am glad they gave Cochise a more to do in this season, and the other Volm, Shaq, is a welcome addition too. Season Three never seemed to deliver on the promises that were made at the end of Season Two, but with lowered expectations this time around, the Volm have felt like a much more valuable component of the show.

Falling Skies has taken a serious dive in quality since its 2011 premiere, but for those who have persevered, there is a satisfying climax to this season. The final episode is filled with enough tension to remind you that you still care about all of the characters. The cliffhanger ending also leaves me with a lot of hope for the fifth and final season, although I must admit that I am glad the end is in sight.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030011641271231/k2311a0130/1.30.15