Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair  » Baby care  »
  • This seat has a retail cost of $60, but can usually be found for around $40-50 online
  • I believe you need this at a fully upright angle to use when feeding a child to be truly safe, but this button is very easy to use
  • I think this seat will work for most families for children between 3 months and 18 months

by mamajess

The Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair is a compact high chair intended for use only when strapped onto a chair you already own. This works with most kitchen chair and is only safe to use when strapped onto the chair. This cannot be used on the floor as it is top heavy and the seat will flip over. The directions tell you to strap it onto the chair and not to unsafely try to use it on its own. I have tried this with a folding chair, both the wooden kind and the metal type you would find intended for use with a folding table and it is not steady, it requires a normal height chair to be a safe option for your child.

When used correctly, this is just as sturdy as a full sized high chair. It is a very good option for people who have a small kitchen and do not want the standard high chair. I do want to add this is not a portable chair, you will not be able to take this to restaurants and it takes up enough space you will not want to use it for travel, but it is a nice option for occasional use for a grandparents house, it sets up in 2 simple steps, all you need to do is strap the strap that goes behind the back and strap the one that goes under the seat and tighten both.

• Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair
  • This is the stock photo of the exact seat I own. It is still for sale as of January 2015 on Amazon,diapers.com and at other retailers. It does come in a handful of other patterns to match your kitchen and you can order a replacement cover on Amazon for around $20 US dollars. This seat has a retail cost of $60, but can usually be found for around $40-50 online.

The seat cover is machine washable and while the straps can be washed as well, doing so in the washing machine makes them pilly and effects the looks of them. The cover on the other hand holds up very well to washing.

• Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair
  • This is the seat recline button. You pull this lever up and the back of the seat reclines. This function is mostly for a younger child. This can be used with a child of only a few months who you want to sit at the table with you, but who cannot otherwise sit safely upright. I believe you need this at a fully upright angle to use when feeding a child to be truly safe, but this button is very easy to use. My seat can only be upright and very slightly inclined because of the chair we are using which is also a very upright seat, but if you are using a chair with more of a recline this button may be more effective for you.

• Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair
  • This button is found on the side of the chair on each side of both sides. You need to push both at the same time and it adjusts the angle of the arms of the chair which will angle the tray up and down. You can see from my picture that the words have faded which is a flaw on the seat. We rarely push the button, but the script faded from normal washing when wiping the chair down.

• Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair
  • This is the chair when used in booster mode. This chair has the option of removing the top portion of the seat. The seat back comes off or reattaches by clicking it into the back of the bucket part of the seat. It takes only a moment to remove or reattach the back of the seat. Once you have taken the seat top off you cannot use the straps or the cover of the seat. I don’t find this mode of use to be very attractive. This part is a different color on each model depending on the seat you own. They color coordinate the seat to the cover, so on some seats this is going to vary in color.

• Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair
  • This is the seat with the cover removed. The seat has two strap heights as you can see from this photo. This would be a better seat if it had another strap height as most children will outgrow the top strap height by 18 months. My average sized child outgrew them by 1 year and we had to rely on the tray to hold the child in so she did not fall.

• Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair
  • This photo shows the tray arms as they angle. These arms do not come off which is a flaw in the chair. When the chair is used as a booster these arms angle to fit under your table. You push the button on either side and the arms angle. I could not get the arms to angle in a way that made them fit under my table and found the chair useless in this mode because of this.

This is a great high chair option for smaller homes or for families that do not want a larger chair taking up space in their home. The cover is easy to remove for washing and still looks sharp after many washes. The straps hold a child well and are easy to use.

The flaws with this chair are that the chair’s back is short and it will be outgrown by most children at 18 months of age. The same complaint is true of the straps that hold the child in place. The maximum weight of the child and the height of the straps will only allow a child to use them of up to around 18 months and to safely use this seat you need the straps to be used. I think this seat will work for most families for children between 3 months and 18 months. This seat is outgrown much sooner than other larger seats, but the cost is low enough that this may not be an issue for a lot of families as you can buy an inexpensive booster when this is outgrown.

The arms on the side do not remove easily. I had to use a screwdriver on mine to get them off and even with them removed this seat did not push into my table so I had to leave the child sitting a foot from the table which did not seem safe. I think this chair will not work in booster mode for many families, but it is nice that it has the option of turning into one.

I do recommend this seat to others. The issues I have with it are minimal. As long as the buyer knows it will not last as a high chair past 18 months, I think anyone will be happy with this purchase for the price.

Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair
Erin Guo says :

re : I think this seat will work for most families for children between 3 months and 18 months
I think 3 months babies are too small to use this. I use the high chair when my kids can sit up by themselves. This type of high chair is very easy to use. My son is almost 3 years old, and we are still using it.

Vanessa.Moira says :

re : I believe you need this at a fully upright angle to use when feeding a child to be truly safe, but this button is very easy to use
for us, it was a waste of money because my daughter does not want to be stuck inside the chair.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5427011641230731/k2311a0127/1.27.15