Dumb and Dumber To, movie  » Movies  »
2.5
  • I found myself continually rooting for Harry and Lloyd because of the loyalty I'd built up back in 1994, but I had to overlook or forgive a few too many acts of cruelty in this outing
  • Story aside, the film's success really only relies on whether or not it is funny - and aside from a few occasions, I didn't really laugh all that much
  • There were many times where I think I may have smiled or smirked, but that may have been because I was simply questioning whether I had actually seen or just imagined the idiocy of what was on screen
  • I didn't regret investing an hour and forty minutes in this but it is doubtful that I'll ever re-watch it

• by James Roberts

Jim Carrey films were one of the most prominent features of my childhood so it was with some nostalgia that I approached this movie, even though the original Dumb and Dumber has never been one of my favourites. Carrey’s recent films have been relatively subdued in comparison to his earlier output and I have always felt he is at his best when his characters are working on some moral spectrum that is totally apart from our own.

It is this nostalgia and peoples’ desire to see Carrey back to form that the producers of this film are clearly relying on. Even twenty years on from the first Dumb and Dumber it doesn’t feel so shocking to see the arrival of a sequel now in this current climate of reboots, revivals and remakes. One of the big problems is that The Farrelly Brothers’ films do not really lend themselves very well to sequels. In the case of Harry

Dunne and Lloyd Christmas it didn’t ever really seem that the characters had any where else to go that wasn’t going to be entirely predictable.

Another concern that I head going in to this movie was that The Farrelly Brothers have not been comedy heavyweights for a long time despite the fact their films have usually been well cast and good natured at heart.

Without giving too much away, there is very little in the way of plot here and most of the gags are recycled from the first film. This is essentially a road trip movie that plays very closely in structure, story and direction to the original.

Most of the opening jokes already had their punchlines revealed in the trailers, so if you’re familiar with any of the teaser footage then the first few minutes of the movie may just feel like you’re going through the motions. But at least within these first few scenes you can see that neither Carrey nor Daniels have lost any of the explosive energy that they injected into their roles first time around. They certainly seem to be giving this their all and perform with passion and a love for their characters, regardless of whatever motives you suspect the producers may have had for putting this movie out there.

If one thing becomes disturbingly apparent early on however, it is that there are slightly mean undertones to the film. Where I have sometimes felt that Farrelly Brothers’ films would create humour from tragedy it almost seems this time that our protagonists have made a sideways shift from naively unaware to knowingly manipulative.

I found myself continually rooting for Harry and Lloyd because of the loyalty I’d built up back in 1994, but I had to overlook or forgive a few too many acts of cruelty in this outing.

Story aside, the film’s success really only relies on whether or not ...

• Dumb and Dumber To, movie
      it is funny - and aside from a few occasions, I didn’t really laugh all that much. There were many times where I think I may have smiled or smirked, but that may have been because I was simply questioning whether I had actually seen or just imagined the idiocy of what was on screen. A lot of the humour has been handicapped by the fact that they are not given very many people to play off. A lot of the screen-time is devoted to Harry and Lloyd alone which means we don’t get to enjoy the reactions of other characters to their blatant stupidity.

In fairness, the film doesn’t fail because of any of the performances but because the very premise was flawed. It never had anything to offer us in the first place.

Rob Riggle’s dual role as the Lippincott brothers is worth a shout out though. As is often the case, even in supporting roles,

Riggle is often one of the funniest performers in any film he works on. There are also a couple of brilliant visual gags involving his characters, which I won’t give away here, that pull you back into the movie when your interest wanes.

Kathleen Turner is also deserving of a mention, especially as she allows herself to be made the butt of one particularly funny joke - one that can be appreciated much more if you have ever been a fan of her previous work.

Ultimately Dumb and Dumber To is just another weak comedy that relies on viewers’ loyalty and memories whilst never even attempting to give us anything new.

I didn’t regret investing an hour and forty minutes in this but it is doubtful that I’ll ever re-watch it. It doesn’t have the same lazy Sunday afternoon appeal of it’s predecessor but you might even be forgiven if ever you ever got the two films mixed up.

Arosh Jayamanna says :

re : I didn’t regret investing an hour and forty minutes in this but it is doubtful that I’ll ever re-watch it
Well.. Part two of one of the greatest movies ever is not that grate though..it won’t be a in to waste almost 2 hours just to get n idea but not for much comedy..old is gold..proven and seconded..

Rebecca Lee says :

When did Dumb and Dumber first come out?

James Roberts replies :

It came out in 1994 in the U.S, and I think it was released in the UK a little later in 1995.

Dave Kelly says :

It’s one of them films like you say, you watch and would not watch again which is a shame really. The first Dumb and Dumber you can watch over and over but this although it had many of the same jokes and set ups felt more forced. Not as natural and flowing as the first. Waited a long time for this and felt disappointed.

James Roberts replies :

Yeah, perhaps the original was a product of its time, which is why this sequel feels so out of touch. But even if just for nostalgic reasons, the first Dumb and Dumber can still be a blast to watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1127011641200731/k2311a0127/1.27.15