Carrie (2013 Film)
  • In my opinion the feel of this movie is a little awkward
  • I know it's meant for Carrie be odd, and a little jumpy, but in this movie it was overdone
  • Moretz is a beautiful girl, and in the book Carrier is described to be not the best looking
  • I think that had the movie focused more on Carrier discovering and developing her powers then it would have been a lot better

• by nitakb

I was given the opportunity to watch Carrie one evening on Netflix. After hearing so many different things about the movie, I just had to see it for myself. I have to say that in the beginning when first hearing about it, I was skeptical, because there are so many remakes of older movies and adaptions from books that it’s hard to get excited. My review will contain spoilers.

Carrie is the remake of the 1976 movie with an obvious up to date spin on it. They try to keep the original glory of it the older movie, but there are some changes and switches. Right in the beginning you can see differences from the older movie.

The mother is portrayed to be a heavily religious figure who keeps Carrie sheltered. Just like in the older movie, although she was radical, in this movie she has this thing about cutting and harming herself to what

can be assumed to control Carrie. Given that it’s no surprise that the writers added this in, I feel like they were trying to make it more real and apparent than in older film. It can be assumed that Carrie’s mother would do something like that but we never saw it out right. She’s also more so shown to be talented, and makes beautiful clothing.

Then there’s the shower scene that made me cringe. I say this because not only was she humiliated by her classmates, but she was also videotaped. And to make matters worse, the video was uploaded to YouTube for all to see and openly laugh at it more so than in the older movie. It was one thing for her to be pointed at and laughed at but then to have it viewed over and over again on the internet, is worse than just having someone spread the story around

by word of mouth. Then there’s was the showing of the video at prom, which is more humiliating, because even if no one knew about and had never watched it, they did right then. And if had she lived to go through the rest of the school year she would have been terrorized from then on.

In my opinion the feel of this movie is a little awkward. For example Chloe Grace Moretz plays Carrie, which isn’t a bad choice, but in my honest opinion there could have been a better choice in who played the role. I say this because Chloe is an excellent actress and this movie just didn’t fit. I know it’s meant for Carrie be odd, and a little jumpy, but in this movie it was overdone. I was like if she saw her own shadow, she would have jumped out her own skin.

I also get this feeling, that ...

• Carrie (2013 Film)
      even though Carrie is a senior in high school in the movie, I felt like she was younger than that. She dressed older, thanks to her mother’s beliefs, but that didn’t make her look her age in my opinion.

Moretz is a beautiful girl, and in the book Carrier is described to be not the best looking. Even in the state of portraying someone whose isn’t all that popular, and had outdated clothing, she still didn’t fit the part. Then there’s the part of movie where she’s covered in blood, and then getting her revenge. That part was so corny that I was literally shaking my head. Especially towards the end when there is like stones falling from the sky. I know it was supposed to be dramatic, but I was just strange to me and could have been left out.

Overall the film was decent to watch, although for a remake it wasn’t all that strong. It’s

not scary, and not even creepy in the slightest. Given that I have read the book, and watched the original movie, my expectations were set a little higher than someone who is just now discovering Carrie for the first time.

I think that had the movie focused more on Carrier discovering and developing her powers then it would have been a lot better. It was touched upon, in a few scenes and then and then made really apparent towards the end. She went from being amateur to full blown Jean Grey in no time.

The movie has some suggestive themes, nothing extremely graphic, but still not really appropriate for younger children.

In the end, I generally liked the film. I probably won’t buy it for my personal collection, but I could see myself watching in the future again, maybe for a movie marathon or during the Halloween season, when showing horror films is appropriate.

Ashley says :

re : I know it’s meant for Carrie be odd, and a little jumpy, but in this movie it was overdone
Carrie is intended to represent an outcast among her peers as well as an odd girl in general. However, I agree that the jumpy and quick acted movements were portrayed as overdone and even corny at times. I personally believe the film as a whole was intriguing because of her interactions with her mother and the way in which she was so different from her high school peers. However, her nervousness and jumpiness was awkward at moments. I think the reason for this was to really portray the change Carrie went through as she transitioned from a jumpy and anxious girl to a strong girl who uses her "magical" abilities to defeat anyone who tries to make her feel like less of a person than she is.

Kandi Lee says :

CARRIE (Film 2013)

This movie may be adequate for someone who has never read the book or watched the original CARRIE (1976) by Stephen King.

I feel that this CARRIE film is a grossly watered down misrepresented version of the original.
When I think of CARRIE in my head I can see the stark horrific mind blowing Sissy Spacik covered in pigs blood just before she snaps… I will never forget the original because of its raw edge and its shock factor. It was wonderfully scripted, casted and directed.
After watching CARRIE (2013) I was disappointed. I feel like this movie is far from the original.
If the intention was for this movie to be more viewer friendly for the younger generation then ID quickly agree that this movie is indeed that

John Roberts says :

Another unnecessary remake. And I might add there was a TV movie remake in between. Stick to the original with Sissy Spacek.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1119011641030531/k2311a0119/1.19.15