RiteMed Ascorbic Acid 500 mg Tablet  » Health  »
  • As far as I know, too much intake of vitamin C is unlikely to cause any problems
  • I do not recommend taking vitamin C in a tablet, specifically ascorbic acid, along with iron supplement if you are prone to acid reflux

• by ermi88

I do not actually take any vitamins or supplements until I miscarried last year in November. I got all my vitamins and minerals from foods. But when I miscarried, I lost my appetite and I had to restore my nutrients. So I took supplements and vitamins in a form of tablets.

My OB-gynecologist initially prescribed me ferrous fumarate and antibiotics. She did not tell me about taking vitamin C along with iron supplement and I only found this out on the Internet. Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron properly. It will also reduce constipation, since

iron supplement can cause gastrointestinal discomfort.

My father has a bottle of vitamin C named RiteMed Ascorbic Acid 500 mg. The bottle contains 100 ascorbic acid tablets; each tablet is 500 mg. I do not have to worry about toxicity caused by excessive intake of vitamin C.

As far as I know, too much intake of vitamin C is unlikely to cause any problems. I took each vitamin C from RiteMed along with my iron supplement every day. I have changed to Sorbifer a month after I finished taking the ferrous fumarate, which my OB-gynecologist prescribed. But I still continued taking vitamin C with iron supplement.

After two weeks, I experienced heartburn, acid regurgitation or acid reflux. I do not know if it was due to vitamin C or iron supplement. Based on the source I read, iron supplements can cause GI discomfort, which include acid reflux. So I guess it is not due to vitamin C. Vitamin C helps ease constipation and it is true.

RiteMed vitamin C tastes acidic and it is a proof why it is called ascorbic ACID. When I swallowed it, I had a hard time ...

• RiteMed Ascorbic Acid 500 mg Tablet
      letting it go down to my esophagus and then to my stomach. The vitamin tastes bitter with a hint of acidity. I cannot explain it. The tablet seemed to hurt my throat when I swallowed it. And when I burped, I could taste the liquid acidity of the vitamin coming back from my esophagus. Since I had acid reflux at that time, I experienced much worse symptoms with vitamin C. I have to avoid acidic foods and drinks. Vitamin C is an ascorbic acid, so it became worse. It was too late when I realized
      that it is acidic too.

I stopped taking vitamin C after two weeks. I took iron supplement alone. I do not recommend taking vitamin C in a tablet, specifically ascorbic acid, along with iron supplement if you are prone to acid reflux. I wish I had thought of mixing iron with fresh fruits rich in vitamin C instead, since it is much better compared to what I did.

I do not have any problems with regard to my bowel movement when I took ascorbic acid from RiteMed; however, it worsened my acid reflux (heartburn, acid regurgitation).

Miles says :

Is RiteMed Ascorbic Acid has bioflavonoids? Thanks

Galega says :

It is a plain Ascorbic Acid capsule and doesn’t contain bioflavoids.

Havier says :

Does it have rose hips?

Galega says :

Ascorbic Acid, or Vitamin C, is not supposed to raise hips.

Azriel says :

We used to buy ascorbic acid but after research we stopped taking it in contrary to what we mostly know it actually is not vitamic c itself. If you want to have more vitamin c then it is really available naturally. Lemons and citrus fruits are better alternative and it won’t even add up to your body’s acidity level.

ermi88 adds :

Yes Azriel. I couldn’t agree with you more. It is better to take vitamin C in natural forms.

Galega says :

Supplements of Vitamins or minerals are generally prescribed when you are deficient of those stuffs. For example, if you are deficient of Vitamin C then taking Vitamin C naturally may not help you. It is better to take supplement in those situations.

There is no problem in taking supplement in limited quality daily. One should just avoid overdosing.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3419011641000531/k2311a0119/1.19.15