Iams Grain Free Naturals dog food  » Pets  »
  • At first glance, it appeared to be the same price, but upon closer inspection, we noticed that the bag was about 4-5 ounces lighter than what we had been getting
  • An interesting ingredient in the Grain Free one was something called 'Menhaden Meal'
  • The best news is that she has lost a pound since we started feeding her this new food and she is just as active and healthy looking as before with the shiny coat and wet nose
  • I would recommend this food to anyone who has a dog that is a bit on the tubby side and could stand to lose a little weight

• by John

Going Grain Free?!? Maybe Iams Grain Free Naturals is right for your dog.

When we agreed to adopt Tigger, our full-grown Australian Terrier, the family we got her from told us that she had always eaten Iams ProActive Health Mini-Chunk dog food and they gave us a partially full green and white bag of it. She ate it with gusto, eating a large handful every morning.

It wasn’t long before the bag was empty and we starting looking for places to get more. Luckily, it wasn’t as hard to find as I had feared it would be as our grocery store and the nearest ‘big box’ store both carried it. We bought Tigger bags of that food for the next year.

Then, one day when we were at the veterinarian’s office, which was located inside a pet store, we saw this new (to us)dog food. At first glance, it appeared to be the same price, but upon closer inspection, we noticed that the bag was about 4-5 ounces lighter than what we had been getting. But, we thought ‘Well,

we’re trying to cut back on how much grain we eat to help lose weight and Tigger has gained a few pounds since we got her, so maybe she could stand to go on a reduced-grain diet too.’

I was curious as to what the differences were, so I found a bag of the ProActive Naturals that we had been getting and compared it to the Grain Free Naturals. They both used chicken as the main meat ingredient although the Grain Free Naturals didn’t say that it had ‘chicken by-product meal’ in it. The most obvious difference was that the Grain Free Naturals didn’t have corn meal nor ground whole grain sorghum. The Grain Free one did have a little flax seed in it though, it was down the list quite a ways, but technically, flax seed is still a grain. An interesting ingredient in the Grain Free one was something called ‘Menhaden Meal’. I thought ‘What the heck is that?’, so I looked it up and it is a little ocean fish that gets to be about 7 inches long. I was also surprised at how many vegetables and fruits were in the Grain Free food such as peas, beets, spinach, blueberries, carrots, tomatoes and apples. But, we decided to give it a try. At least she’d be getting less corn in her diet, something that my wife and I were also trying to cut back on.

We gave a large handful of the Iams Naturals dog food to Tigger the next day. At first, she wasn’t so sure about it. She sniffed it and looked at it for a while, then walked away. We were a bit worried since we were out of the ProActive Health food and hadn’t thought to keep a bit to mix with this new food. But, we thought, ‘Well, we’ll go to the store tomorrow and get a bag of what she’s used to and give this bag to my sister’s dog, Duke, a mutt who will eat anything.’

After watching Tigger for a few minutes to see if she’d change her mind, we went back to the living room and sat down to watch a bit of TV. A few hours later, on my ...

• Iams Grain Free Naturals dog food
      way by where her bowls were in the kitchen, I looked down and to my surprise, she’d eaten about half of what we’d given her. By the next morning, the bowl was licked clean!

That was a couple of bags ago and now Tigger eats this Iams Grain Free Naturals food just fine, although she still doesn’t wolf it down like she used to do with the ProActive Health version. I don’t know, maybe the grain-free food is more satisfying or filling than the other was. The best news is that she has lost a pound since we started feeding her this new food and she is just as active and healthy looking as before with the shiny coat and wet nose.

The food itself does look and smell different than the old one did, which may have made her less sure about it at first. It is light tan in color whereas the old food was dark brown and each piece is shaped a bit like an oyster cracker with scalloped edges. It smells a bit less ‘meaty’ than the other

food did and the pieces are slightly bigger looking.

The only negative I’d have to say about this food is that the pricing is a bit deceptive since it seems to be the same price as the ProActive at first glance, until you realize that the bag is lighter. I’d rather see the bag the same weight and the price a bit higher. I can understand why the Grain Free Naturals is more expensive since grain is cheaper than meat though.

I would recommend this food to anyone who has a dog that is a bit on the tubby side and could stand to lose a little weight. Especially if your dog spends a lot of time indoors and doesn’t get a lot of exercise. If you’ve been feeding your dog something else, try to keep a bit of it before you run out and mix it with the first bowl of this new food to help your dog get used to it.

I give Iams Grain Free Naturals a 9/10, mainly for the strange pricing system. Otherwise, it is excellent.

Kathy Johnson says :

re : At first glance, it appeared to be the same price, but upon closer inspection, we noticed that the bag was about 4-5 ounces lighter than what we had been getting
I have 2 female dogs and have used a variety of different dog foods but,have found that my dogs prefer the Iams Dog Food over all other brands.Another reason I like Iams Dog Food so much is because my dogs like to switch flavors as their favorite right now is Chicken and Barley Flavor,and Iams Dog Food has a few different selections to choose from.I buy the 23.2 Lb bags and I feel that I am always getting my money’s worth.I also like the fact that I can go to any major retailer and a few privately owned stores and I don’t have to go out of my way to get what I want from Iams Dog Food.I would truly recommend Iams Dog Food to anyone that wants to make sure that their dog is getting the right nutrition that they need everyday.Iams Dog Food is my 1 choice in Dog Food today.

John E replies :

Thanks Kathy for pointing out that Iams is one of the most widely available of the healthy dog foods. That is a plus over using brands that are only sold in certain stores.

Since you have two dogs, it certainly is a good idea to get the bigger 23.2 pound bags. Whereas, I only have one, really small dog. We get the smallest bag because we don’t have a lot of room in our apartment and our dog doesn’t eat much each day, so we don’t want the food going stale waiting for her to eat it. That’s the only drawback of getting food that has no preservatives: it doesn’t stay`fresh’ as long. The benefits of not eating those preservatives outweigh that con of course though.

I’m glad you read my review and thanks for posting

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2914011640940531/k2311a0114/1.14.15