The Interview - (2014) Movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • The CIA gets involved and tasks Aaron and Dave with assassinating Kim Jong Un, something they both don't like but reluctantly agree to do
  • The basic plot is interesting, however the execution failed
  • For people who believe this movie is offensive to North Korea, I disagree
  • When I think of Seth Rogen, I'm expecting hilarious, witty humour
  • Randall Park pulled off this role perfectly and was able to outshine both Seth Rogen and James Franco by being realistic and funny

by Moe

I’m sure everyone has heard of the movie, ‘The Interview’ starring Seth Rogen and James Franco. I’ve seen the movie name in the news many times in the past few months because of North Korea’s displeasure with the movie revolving around the assassination of Kim Jong Un and more recently the Sony hacks which was thought to have been committed by North Korea in retaliation for the creation of this movie. Eventually ‘The Interview’, was released online and I did get to watch it. My expectations were so high because of all the media attention and what I saw wasn’t really worth a watch. It was extremely unfunny, so much in fact that it offends the comedy genre than it does North Korea.

The story is about two men, Dave Skylark (host of the fictional show Skylark Tonight, played by James Franco) and Aaron Rapoport (producer of Skylar tonight, played by Seth Rogen) who get involved in something that puts their lives in danger. As the host of Skylark Tonight, Dave often interviews celebrities and reports on mundane things such as what Eminem means with his hateful lyrics. Aaron wants the show to deal with actual reporting and eventually arranges an interview with Kim Jong Un (dictator of North Korea), which will be conducted by Dave. The CIA gets involved and tasks Aaron and Dave with assassinating Kim Jong Un, something they both don’t like but reluctantly agree to do. In North Korea, Dave becomes fond of Kim Jong Un after spending time with him and realizing that he’s not as terrible as the media has portrayed him to be. Aaron, unlike Dave, is not distracted and sees Kim Jong Un for who he really is.

The basic plot is interesting, however the execution failed. The movie was meant to be a comedy but seemed more like a failed attempt at an action movie. I wasted nearly two hours on this movie to find that it’s filled with boredom. PS. Way too many Lord of the Rings references.

For people who believe this movie is offensive to North Korea, I disagree. The movie made Kim Jong Un out to be a silly character and more human than we generally view him. He’s still a terrible dictator but the movie makes him out to be a person like anyone else and draws on the fact that perhaps media reporting has something to do with how people perceive North Korea.

• The Interview - (2014) Movie
  • This is the poster for the movie, ‘The Interview’, starring Seth Rogen and James Franco.

• The Interview - (2014) Movie
  • This is Seth Rogen as Aaron Rapoport. When I think of Seth Rogen, I’m expecting hilarious, witty humour. Aside from a few remarks that didn’t really standout, Seth Rogen was serious and depressing throughout the film. Maybe his character was intended to be that way but this movie was marketed as a comedy and so it’s fair of me to expect alot of humour. I felt like Seth Rogen wasn’t even trying to be funny, he was in a movie where he filled no niche.

• The Interview - (2014) Movie
  • If Seth Rogen was bad, James Franco was worse. This is James Franco as Dave Skylark, the host of Skylark tonight. Contrary to Seth Rogen, James Franco tries way too hard to be funny and it doesn’t work. He’s loud and it’s abundantly clear that he’s not intelligent to the point of possibly having an IQ under 100- kind of strange when you consider he’s the host of a popular tv show. His jokes in this movie were more vomit inducing than laughter inducing. He talks about a strange smell from his penis and wants Aaron to smell it and at one point tells Aaron to shove a cylindrical object containing strips needed to kill Kim Jong Un, into his butt, which Aaron actually does. I’m disappointed in how he turned out.

• The Interview - (2014) Movie
  • This is Randall Park as Kim Jong Un, North Korean leader. Randall Park is the lone bright spot in this movie. His comical portrayal of Kim Jong Un was perfect. The movie took time to flesh out his character to show that he is a person like the rest of us. He loves Katy Perry and his father told him that margarita’s are gay … what a tough life you have Kim. Randall Park pulled off this role perfectly and was able to outshine both Seth Rogen and James Franco by being realistic and funny.

• The Interview - (2014) Movie
  • This is Lizzie Caplan as Agent Lacey. Her role didn’t require her to do much and it seems she was put into the movie for the sole purpose of having a beautiful woman there. She was ok at her role but I couldn’t believe she was CIA, especially because she seemed to have no control over Dave Skylark (interrupts her, talks too much, screws up mission and all of this not preventable by the CIA).

I didn’t like this movie but I really wanted to. I generally enjoy Seth Rogen but when I watched this movie I cringed at the lack of humour and over-the-top acting. I did enjoy seeing Randall Park as Kim Jong Un because he did give a spark to an otherwise lifeless movie. ‘The Interview’, tries too hard to be a comedy and fails. I don’t recommend watching this movie.

Azriel says :

I watched the movie out of curiosity for the publicity this movie gets in the news. I know it is a satirical movie, but I did not realize it was actually a very fun movie. Of course this is just me as I am not fully aware of what the N. Korea is capable of. I was close to believing he could probably just be misunderstood But the reality is that this is just a movie and yes, he was made into as humanly as possible, bearing emotions, having favorites, vices, hobbies, pets and even sings. This movie can be offensive for people who admires personalities and their idol/favorite is being mocked. Other than that, this movie is simply like any other comedy film in the market. Difference is that the person depicted is a true person, who happens to be a leader of a country that has closed itself to the world.

Moe says :

You’re right in that it is a comedy movie but it’s only similar to other movies that aren’t that great as well. The jokes didn’t really land and at the end of the film I just wasn’t satisfied, something was lacking.

Bella says :

re : The basic plot is interesting, however the execution failed
The execution was what was funny, not the plot which seemed rather serious.

Bella says :

re : For people who believe this movie is offensive to North Korea, I disagree
It s not offense because it s an accurate representation of the life in North Korea.

John says :

How do you know it is accurate? Do you live in North Korea?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112011640740431/k2311a012/1.2.15