Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011 science fiction movie)  » Movies  »
  • I mean, how could a film about the other set of primates be that interesting
  • I was quite fascinated with the design of the primates in particular Caesar, who appeared quite real with human-like qualities
  • I believe that the apes' human qualities were one of the reasons why I appreciated the movie so much
  • I was also impressed with the way that James Franco played Will Rodman, and therefore scenes such as the one where he looks hurt without trying to show it when his father forgets the day becomes even more emotional
  • I recommend the Rise of the Planet of the Apes to people who love science fiction movies

by Redtape

I actually delayed watching this movie for years for two reasons. The first was that I honestly didn’t think that it would be very good. I mean, how could a film about the other set of primates be that interesting? The second reason was that I’m slightly afraid of those types of animals. After watching the movie recently though, I have to admit it wasn’t so bad, even though I was left with a few questions concerning the plot.
  • Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011 science fiction movie)
  • Will Rodman, who is played by the actor James Franco, is a scientist at Gen-Sys research facility working on a viral-based drug known as “ALZ-112″. As part of the research the drug is tested on chimpanzees in order that someday it might become a cure for brain ailments such as the dreaded Alzheimer’s disease.

One of the test subjects, a chimpanzee named “Bright Eyes”, shows a positive reaction to the drug and her intelligence improves tremendously. However, she and the other chimpanzees at the facility have to be euthanized once she becomes aggressive and begins attacking people.

On finding out that Bright Eyes’ aggression was caused by maternal protectiveness, Rodman secretly carries home her new baby chimpanzee in an attempt to save his life. However, when the baby chimp, Caesar, starts showing signs of rapid mental development, it becomes clear that Bright Eyes passed on the intelligence to her offspring. Rodman gives the drug to his father, who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease, and he realises the drug is successful since he improves rapidly.

The new family live a happy and peaceful existence until Rodman’s father’s Alzheimer’s returns and he begins degenerating faster than before. Caesar is taken away for defending the father against an angry neighbor. Instead of being euthanized, he is placed in a primate shelter where he is rejected by the other chimps and abused by one of the humans who works there. This harsh treatment causes Caesar to “adapt” and eventually lead a war against “Gen-Sys” and humankind.

• Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011 science fiction movie)
  • One of the main things about this movie that stood out to me was the CGI. I was quite fascinated with the design of the primates in particular Caesar, who appeared quite real with human-like qualities. My interest grew when I later read that no real apes were used in the making of the movie for humanitarian reasons. Instead work was done with the visual effects company Weta Digital to create lifelike characters.

I believe that the apes’ “human” qualities were one of the reasons why I appreciated the movie so much.

• Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011 science fiction movie)
  • I also quite liked the acting in the movie. Andy Serkis as usual did a brilliant job with his portrayal of Caesar, which I can imagine would have been very hard to do. I was also impressed with the way that James Franco played Will Rodman, and therefore scenes such as the one where he looks hurt without trying to show it when his father forgets the day becomes even more emotional.

• Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011 science fiction movie)
  • Rise of the Planet of the Apes also has its fair share of action, even though most of it occurs in the latter part of the movie where Caesar begins his “war”. The appeal in the action is a little different from a number of movies I’ve watched too, since quite a lot is shocking enough to be considered as gripping, especially where the apes begin using weapons.

One of my favourite scenes had to be where Caesar and his army gathered at the top of buildings and began throwing metal spears at a police vehicle.

• Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011 science fiction movie)
  • To me the ending came off as a bit anticlimatic and open ended, when Caesar and his army head to Muir Woods National Monument. It felt like this because I didn’t think that the apes would still retain their basic need to climb trees, since their brains evolved so much, and Caesars had evolved to the point of speech.

I recommend the Rise of the Planet of the Apes to people who love science fiction movies.

Berkes Lidi says :

I really like this movie. Great It’s great that there is again a man who has a mind to do the monkeys come true. 4.7-stars and simply appreciate it

Odessa Williams says :

re : I recommend the Rise of the Planet of the Apes to people who love science fiction movies
I really liked this movie as well. I had never seen the original but I love James Franco so I thought why not. After watching this movie I knew I wanted to see the sequel.

Jaqui says :

This movie was great. I really liked the action scenes and how it was an open ended movie - it called for a part two and well I love movie sequels

Edchellyne says :

re : I was also impressed with the way that James Franco played Will Rodman, and therefore scenes such as the one where he looks hurt without trying to show it when his father forgets the day becomes even more emotional
Me too

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1126121640560431/k2311a1226/12.26.14