The Woman in Black (horror movie)  » Movies  »
  • I've heard a lot of people say that the movie The Woman in Black was either stupid or boring or both
  • As a matter of fact I found that I actually enjoyed it
  • I thought it was a perfect display of shock, helplessness and desperation
  • I would recommend it to people who like supernatural horror movies

by Redtape

I’ve heard a lot of people say that the movie “The Woman in Black” was either stupid or boring or both. I’ve also seen it rated from below average to average in various places on the internet. However, for some reason I didn’t think that it was all that bad. As a matter of fact I found that I actually enjoyed it.
  • The Woman in Black (horror movie)
  • “The Woman in Black” has a very odd beginning. Three little girls in an Edwardian English town are having a tea party with their dolls. All of a sudden the three of them focus on something at the door, and in a trance stop what they are doing and jump through the window.

Years later a young widowed lawyer from London travels to the same town to arrange the sale of a house. The inhabitants of the town are strangely cold to him especially after he witnesses a supernatural entity that is responsible for the deaths of some of the town’s children. He soon discovers that this ghost that he saw is actually a entity who is determined to have vengeance for the wrongs she believe was done to her and her child.

• The Woman in Black (horror movie)
  • One thing that I certainly loved about this movie was the environment. It had a spooky gothic setting that made it even more creepy. Therefore, in many scenes everything generally looked bleak, grey and dreary.

There was one scene where Daniel Radcliffe’s character, Arthur Kipps approaches the house he is set to sell for the very first time, and as the carriage approaches the column everything looks so dead and dreary.

• The Woman in Black (horror movie)
  • Daniel Radcliffe does a fabulous job acting the serious and determined young lawyer in this movie as well. It seems to me that he put a lot into playing his character, especially since at that point it was clear that he was a former child actor trying not to be typecast.

I especially loved the way how he acted in the scene after the little girl Victoria drank lye and was dying in his arms. I thought it was a perfect display of shock, helplessness and desperation.

• The Woman in Black (horror movie)
  • I thought that one of the creepiest scenes in the entire movie had to be the one where Arthur digs up the child to give as a peace offering to the woman in black, hoping that it would be the thing to finally put her to rest. All the candles all of a sudden starts going out and she appears behind him in the shadows making an unearthly shrieking sound while racing in his direction. The scene literally made me cringe and grasp my chair. I almost started screaming myself.

• The Woman in Black (horror movie)
  • Despite how I liked the movie, I thought that the end was a bit disappointing and depressing. In the end, it was assumed that the woman in black was gone and Arthur and his son were at the train station. However, she appeared again causing the little boy to go into a trance and walk right onto the train tracks having his father chase right after him.

It took a few seconds for me to figure out that they both died instantly, on seeing Arthur’s deceased wife come to meet them and seeing the shock and dispair on the faces of the people who were at the train station.

The movie might not have been perfect, but I find that I still like it enough to watch it again. I would recommend it to people who like supernatural horror movies.

sonjica says :

re : I would recommend it to people who like supernatural horror movies
I would recommend it to people who like supernatural horror movies too but in general it was too scary for me. While I was watching it I was screaming for about first half hour and then I just got overwhelmed by it all.

Andrew Leither says :

The Woman in Black horror movie sounds great and unique just looking at the pictures with your review made it helpful to understand and where it’s all coming from. Why not make movies that are different and from the creators and director’s point of view I think I will love it

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1122121640530231/k2311a1222/12.22.14