City of God (crime drama movie)  » Movies  »
  • I truly found it hard to pick out the most amazing actor from the lot since everyone did such a good job
  • I can definitely say that I did not get bored once watching this movie
  • I would definitely recommend this movie to people who love crime dramas

by Redtape

When I watched the 2002 crime drama “City of God” recently, I just found it hard to believe that a film so good had escaped my notice for so many years. The thing is it’s one of those films whose plot revolves around gangsters, life in the ghetto and gang culture, and anyone who knows me, knows that I’m literally sick and tired of seeing those kind of movies. However, the thing that made this one so different was the way that the story was told, how it was filmed and the script. In other words, the movie definition of perfection.
  • City of God (crime drama movie)
  • The movie which is also known as “Cidade de Deus” in Portuguese is originally in that language. Therefore you might have to watch it with English subtitles. It is set for the most part in the “Cidade de Deus” suburb in Brazil somewhere between the sixties to the eighties.

It follows the rise of crime in that area during that particular period of time.The movie is narrated by a young man who we know as “Rocket. He tells the story of how a criminal, Lil Dice (later known as Lil Ze) went on to rise to power in the community after he committed a massacre when he was still just a child.

Rocket, unlike many of the young men who he grew up with, gravitates to photography instead of crime. It is this skill which eventually ends up saving him during what becomes a violent war over territory, and eventually causes him to start working for a newspaper.

• City of God (crime drama movie)
  • Of the things that I certainly admired about this movie had to be the way that the time period was portrayed. For example, I might not have been around in the seventies, but I still have some idea of the styles that people might have worn as well as how things such as cars and the like might have looked. Well, the movie manages to make everything look as realistic as possible, so when I watch it, I literally feel as if I have traveled back in time.

• City of God (crime drama movie)
  • One thing that I certainly liked was the way how it was filmed, which was in a gritty artistic style. For example, I loved the way that a split screen was used in one of the most important scenes in the movie which was the party at which Benny was killed.

The split screen shows two different points of view whereas while Benny is enjoying himself at his own farewell party, Blackie is gearing up to kill Lil Ze.

• City of God (crime drama movie)
  • The acting was no less than superb as well. I truly found it hard to pick out the most amazing actor from the lot since everyone did such a good job. However, I guess if I had to pick it would have to be the child actor Douglas Silva who plays the role of the psychotic child Lil Dice.

• City of God (crime drama movie)
  • I can definitely say that I did not get bored once watching this movie. Every single part of the storyline is just crammed with suspense and so even though the movie is a little over two hours. I’m being entertained so much from start to finish, that by the time it ended I began to wonder where the time went.

One of the most suspenseful and emotional parts of “City of God” had to be when the narrator told the story of how Shaggy was killed by the police when he was trying to escape the suburb with his girlfriend.

I would definitely recommend this movie to people who love crime dramas. It’s thrilling, artistic and unique.

quick note by anonymous :

I saw this movie a few years ago, somehow, this movie was out of the mainstream. Drugs, Sexs and Crimes movie

Rebecca Lee says :

Who directed this movie? Was it based on a true story?

nitakb says :

The Directors of “City of God” is Fernando Meirelles, Katia Lund. The movie is loosely based on actual events

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1122121640520231/k2311a1222/12.22.14