Mama (supernatural horror movie)  » Movies  »
  • In actuality I actually thought that it came off as quite boring, predictable and cliche at times
  • Nevertheless, I still give it an average rating since it was leagues above a lot of the horror movies that were released that year in my opinion
  • However, they soon realise that they are faced with another problem, the supernatural entity that raised the two girls will not leave them alone
  • I found the part where they jumped on top of the fridge covered in year of grime more than a little creepy
  • Therefore, I don't really think that I would recommend it to people who like supernatural horror films

by Redtape

“Mama” might was not a very good or frightening horror movie. In actuality I actually thought that it came off as quite boring, predictable and cliche at times. I am one of Guillermo del Toro’s fans and I expected a lot more from a movie associated with him even though he didn’t actually direct this one. Nevertheless, I still give it an average rating since it was leagues above a lot of the horror movies that were released that year in my opinion.
  • Mama (supernatural horror movie)
  • “Mama” which was released in 2013 is a supernatural horror film. The movie is set after the 2008 financial crisis, where a man murders his wife and business partners and then kidnaps and runs away with his two young children, Victoria and Lily. His speeding car skids on an icy road and falls over a cliff into the woods, but surprisingly none of the three are seriously hurt.

The man then takes the two children to an abandoned cabin where he has plans of killing them both and then killing himself. However, just as he is about the kill his first daughter, a supernatural entity attacks and kills him. The two girls remain in the cabin for five years being raised and protected by the supernatural being until they are eventually found.

Their deceased father’s identical twin brother Lucas and his partner, Annabel, decides to take up the challenge of raising the two now feral girls as their own. However, they soon realise that they are faced with another problem, the supernatural entity that raised the two girls will not leave them alone.

• Mama (supernatural horror movie)
  • Despite the fact that I mentioned that it’s almost average in comparison especially to much of Del Torro’s work, Mama does have a few decent scenes. Some of them I have to admit actually border on being a little scary, but of course, only just a little.

For example, there is one scene in the first part where the two men from the search party find the two girls who are now in a feral state.I found the part where they jumped on top of the fridge covered in year of grime more than a little creepy.

• Mama (supernatural horror movie)
  • I found the mama character a bit strange looking too when she finally appeared and showed her face later on in the movie. I wouldn’t describe it as being creepy, but just plain strange looking and I think that the movie would have been slightly better off had the character been designed to appear more menacing and frightening looking to people a part from the children. A part from that it just looks like awful CGI.

• Mama (supernatural horror movie)
  • I thought that the ending was disappointing as well and didn’t do the movie much of a favour. “Mama” plans to journey with Victoria and Lily to the same spot that she jumped many years before and died. Lucas and Annabel follow her there with the remains of her dead child hoping to dissuade her from killing the two children. However, what ends up happening is that Lily chooses to go with her and transforms into a moth in the end.

While the entire scene especially the one where Victoria chooses to stay and Lily chooses to go was supposed to be very sad and emotional, it came off as almost comical. I guess with the bad CGI and the “strangeness” of the situation it was a little hard to take seriously.

• Mama (supernatural horror movie)
  • I think that one of the saddest thing about this movie was that it ha so many good actors in it, so I felt as if the resources were not being utilized properly and it came off as a waste of time and money.There were the child actors, whom I believe did a spectacular job, and there were actors such as Jessica Chastain and then Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who many people would recognise from “Game of Thrones”.

I have to say that I liked Jessica Chastain’s character Annabel the most, since it’s so different from the character that she played in “The Help” and “Zero Dark Thirty”.

“Mama” is just plain “alright”. Therefore, I don’t really think that I would recommend it to people who like supernatural horror films. On the other hand, it does have its fan base of people, some of whom think that it was both frightening and disturbing.

As I said, the main problem that I had with it was that it came across and boring and cheesy sometimes, and Mama’s character was ridiculous looking.

Tristyn says :

re : In actuality I actually thought that it came off as quite boring, predictable and cliche at times
I agree, this entire movie was extremely predictable. They had such a good concept but the execution was poor and the effects were awful.

Heather says :

They hyped it up so much that I thought it was gonna be some great horror movie, it was definitely not great. Like previously said it was so boring I couldn’t wait for it to be over. I’m glad I didn’t pay to watch it or I would have been very upset.

Azriel says :

Watched this movie from a dvd copy we got for free. Glad that we did not pay for it. Even if it started outinteresting the movie sure gave out a few suspenseful scenes,still majority of the times it was indeed boring. I did not like how the movie turned out but then it was okay and could have been improved much.

IC Dugan says :

Well,`Mama’ has an interesting back story indeed but it’s not that really horrifying for a horror movie. It’s creepy alright but it lacks that`thing’ that I’m looking for a horror movie maybe because it doesn’t really frighten you only creeps you out.

Sweet Grace Penares says :

re : Therefore, I don’t really think that I would recommend it to people who like supernatural horror films
Its pretty boring at first. Then it outright brought you horror then sadness. Love of the mother really transcends boundaries. And its quite sad though that eventhough theres too much love sometimes circumstances like to slap you with the "let it go" vibe.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1122121640510231/k2311a1222/12.22.14