T.G.I. Friday’s Potato Skins Cheddar and Bacon Snack Chips
2.0
  • Unfortunately, the flavors didn't stand out and didn't compliment each other either like I expected them to
  • Neither the taste nor the texture of these snack chips appealed to me in the way that I thought they might and finishing the sixteen ounce bag proved to be a chore
  • Had the chips themselves been less hard and been less salty, while better capturing the flavors of cheddar and bacon, I would have been thoroughly satisfied with them, I believe

• by CirclingCanvas

Loaded baked potatoes are a pretty common menu item in restaurants with a variety of topping combinations. One of the most common topping combinations includes bacon bits and cheddar cheese, and depending on the quality of the potato and the toppings, that’s usually a pretty good one! While T.G.I. Friday’s Potato Skins Cheddar and Bacon Snack Chips isn’t the same thing as ordering a loaded baked potato with cheddar and bacon, the chips still sounded good. Cheddar and bacon baked into a crispy, crunchy potato chip? Sounded like something worth trying to me and three dollars for a sixteen

ounce bag was a reasonable enough price in my eyes to try a bag.

Unlike regular potato chips, these potato skin snack chips are harder and crunchier. They are almost too hard for my liking and when chewing, can break into small, almost jagged pieces, which makes eating them less pleasant than they otherwise would be. The thickness and hardness of the snack chips isn’t the only aspect that makes enjoying them harder than I expected it to be: they’re also quite salty. I expected the snack chips to be salty, but they were far saltier than I felt they

needed to be. The salt got in the way of the actual bacon and cheddar flavors, and that detracted from my enjoyment of the chips.

I don’t know if it was the excessive saltiness or not, but I had a difficult time actually making out much authentic cheddar and bacon flavor. The chips carried a flavor that was reminiscent of the two flavors, but the taste seemed off and not even very strong at that. Of the two flavors, I would say the cheddar was the stronger of the two and the bacon came in more as an aftertaste. Unfortunately,

• T.G.I. Friday's Potato Skins Cheddar and Bacon Snack Chips
      the flavors didn’t stand out and didn’t compliment each other either like I expected them to. Neither the taste nor the texture of these snack chips appealed to me in the way that I thought they might and finishing the sixteen ounce bag proved to be a chore.

T.G.I. Friday’s Potato Skins Cheddar and Bacon Snack Chips could have been a great snack item. Had the chips themselves been less hard and been less salty, while better capturing the flavors of cheddar and bacon, I would have been thoroughly satisfied with them, I believe. Sadly though, there was just

too much wrong with these snack chips for me to feel like I had gotten my money’s worth. The price of the snack chips and the size of the bag would have equaled a good value had the chips themselves been at least satisfactory, but I simply didn’t care for them. I think T.G.I. Friday’s had a good idea with these snack chips, but missed the mark when it came to the execution of the idea. I will continue to enjoy loaded baked potatoes with bacon bits and melted cheddar as toppings, but I won’t continue to buy these snack chips.

Azzim Asyraf says :

This potato skin best of the best potato skin on earth it will increase your appetite..make sure you will try this one..you will not regret

CirclingCanvas replies :

While I wasn’t satisfied with these potato skins, it’s good that you felt they were worth the purchase price and have been enjoying them. They simply weren’t for me, but I know that tastes vary, so there are bound to be consumers out there that find this product to be satisfying, just as I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling that these potato skins just weren’t appealing enough to me to truly enjoy.

John says :

re : Unfortunately, the flavors didn’t stand out and didn’t compliment each other either like I expected them to
I have had these before and I agree that they aren’t as good as they could be. I eat at TGI Fridays fairly often and find that their baked potatoes with bacon and cheese on them at the restaurant are far superior to these chips.

I did like how thick and`sturdy’ they were when it came to dipping them in a sour cream based dip though. When it comes to having something salty and thick to dip with, I’d just as soon have Fritos or something like that. I haven’t eaten more than two or three bags of these myself since they came out and I tend to pass them by when I see them on the shelves.

CirclingCanvas replies :

Fritos is a good alternative More flavor and definitely ideal for dipping purposes. Sadly, restaurant quality food is hard to come by in grocery stores, and frozen and dry goods products with restaurants’ names plastered on the packaging may make the customer think that he or she is in for restaurant-quality taste and satisfaction, but that’s not always the case. I do think these chips could have been enjoyable with the right amounts of each ingredient, but the way they turned out just wasn’t very satisfying to the taste buds.

Azriel says :

I tried the potato skins too and this is the same brand. I am a huge fan of chips and I have almost tasted all flvors for the Frito-Lays but then i do not feel this is worth the tag price. I would really choose the other brand as it was tastier than friday’s. It was a good crunch on first bite but after than it came down as not satisfying anymore.

CirclingCanvas replies :

They do have a very crunchy quality to them, almost too crunchy, actually, but I agree that they simply weren’t satisfying enough considering the price tag of the chips. Even if the price of the chips was lower, I still wouldn’t find them to be a good value simply because the quality wasn’t satisfactory.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2722121640460231/k2311a1222/12.22.14