Michelinas Lean Gourmet Sweet and Spicy Asian style Chicken
  • I usually take advantage and buy a fair share whenever my neighborhood grocery store is having a sale on a few of my favorite brands
  • Sweet and Spicy Asian style Chicken is one of the meals I decided that I would try for lunch one day
  • I know from past experiences, that cook time varies because of the difference in microwave and oven wattage and setting
  • I must admit that I had moderate expectations for this frozen version of Sweet and Spicy Asian style Chicken
  • I like that this made a quick lunch, nothing heavy but hits the spot

• by nitakb

There are times were I can appreciate store bought frozen meals. Not all of them are horrid, and can be quite tasty. I usually take advantage and buy a fair share whenever my neighborhood grocery store is having a sale on a few of my favorite brands.

Michelinas is one of those brands that I typically buy when the opportunity presents itself. Sometimes frozen meals are on sale for less than a dollar, which allows me to pick up a few tasty favorites and other that I haven’t tried yet.

Sweet and Spicy Asian style Chicken is one

of the meals I decided that I would try for lunch one day. As with all frozen meals, I turned it over and read the heating directions. They give two methods, which the first is in the microwave, where you’re supposed to lift a corner of the lid to vent and microwave on high for three minutes. The second is in the conventional oven, in an oven safe dish, cover with foil and cook for twenty five minutes, before removing it, mix and recovering and place it to cook for an additional twenty minutes.

The meal is the

shape of the packaging, which is a frozen rectangle. The chicken and vegetable topping is on one side while the rice is on the other. So stirring is really needed, since it does in fact comes separated. In this particular frozen meal, there’s brown rice instead of white rice and has bell peppers and onion.

I choose the second method and cooked it for forty minutes. I know from past experiences, that cook time varies because of the difference in microwave and oven wattage and setting. My personal toaster conventional has more than one setting so I went with ...

• Michelinas Lean Gourmet Sweet and Spicy Asian style Chicken
      the bake setting although to keep from making the frozen meal from being overdone and crunchy, I kept watch and evenly stirred it.

I must admit that I had moderate expectations for this frozen version of Sweet and Spicy Asian style Chicken. I have tasted different variations, from restaurants, homemade and even in other brands of frozen meals. But this one particular once tasted pretty good. The sauce was sweet and had a nice kick that hit me later and even lingered afterward. Because the sauce was full of flavor and wasn’t bland in the slightest, I didn’t have

to add any extra salt.

In a sense, it tastes like orange chicken without the strong orange flavor. I enjoyed the fact that the sauce wasn’t really sweet. I like sweet and spicy sauce to be more so on the spicy side with the sweetness complementing it. I feel like the sauce would have made a great dipping for chicken tenders or even egg rolls. Over the rice there is what I would call a sprinkle of vegetables and bits of chicken. One thing that’s a plus, is that there wasn’t an awkward lingering flavor once the spiciness wore off.

One serving, which is the entire package is three hundred and twenty calories with fifty calories being from fat. There’s ten milligrams of cholesterol, four hundred and ninety milligrams of sodium. There is fifty seven grams of carbs, fifteen grams of sugar and nine grams of protein.

For a frozen meal it was pretty good. I can honestly say that in future when I want to purchase a particular meal from the Michelina’s line, I will look for this selection. I like that this made a quick lunch, nothing heavy but hits the spot.

It’s not going to replace truly authentic sweet and spicy chicken, but it’s still good.

I would recommend to a friend.

Denise Williams says :

re : I usually take advantage and buy a fair share whenever my neighborhood grocery store is having a sale on a few of my favorite brands
I feel good when I see a few of my favorite brands on sale. I get to buy them at a good price and I can stock up on them until the next sale comes around. I usually check out different supermarkets and so I get the opportunity to take advantage of lower prices very often. I get very excited about the buy one get one specials as they leave me with enough cash to do many other things. Even though I buy more when I see these specials, it means that I do not have to shop very often. However,I still pass through supermarkets just to find out if any of my favorite brands are offering specials.

Denise Williams says :

re : Sweet and Spicy Asian style Chicken is one of the meals I decided that I would try for lunch one day
When I tried the meal for lunch the first time, it was awesome. My niece loved it so much. In fact, it was on special when I bought it. I thought my niece would love it, and she did. I must say I fell in love with the flavor. All the members of my household enjoyed it and so it has become one of the meals on our weakly meal menu plan. It is very easy to prepare and so it is something I have for lunch on Saturdays. It is sweet, flavorful and spicy and something for everyone to try.

Denise Williams says :

re : I know from past experiences, that cook time varies because of the difference in microwave and oven wattage and setting
Cook time is definitely dependent on several factors including, differences in microwave used, setting options and oven voltage. A big oven provides more space and allow heat to circulate better and heat or cook tens quickly.

Denise Williams says :

re : I must admit that I had moderate expectations for this frozen version of Sweet and Spicy Asian style Chicken
My expectations were moderate even though the image on the package looked great. However, the taste matched perfectly with the image.

Denise Williams says :

re : I like that this made a quick lunch, nothing heavy but hits the spot
I was able to prepare lunch quickly although it was heavy but it did help to keep me going until my next meal was due. Although it did fill me up, it was sufficient.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2722121640420231/k2311a1222/12.22.14