A Beautiful Mind (drama movie)
  • I believe that it accomplished its goal of telling me the story about one very brilliant man, and have me develop respect for him even though I had not heard about him previously
  • I thought that it helped to increase the drama in many scenes that would have felt almost naked without it
  • I would definitely recommend this movie to everyone

by Redtape

I’ve always heard good things about the movie “A Beautiful Mind” over the years, but I never actually got a chance to see it until recently. My expectations were very high before seeing it, and to be completely honest there was nothing about it that I wasn’t satisfied with. I believe that it accomplished its goal of telling me the story about one very brilliant man, and have me develop respect for him even though I had not heard about him previously. I was thrilled with everything from the way that the movie was filmed to the soundtrack.
  • A Beautiful Mind (drama movie)
  • “A Beautiful Mind” is an award winning biographical drama about “John Nash”, a published mathematical genius who won a Nobel Laureate in Economics. The film was inspired by the biography written of him by Sylvia Nasar, whose book of the same name also won a Pulitzer prize.

In the movie Nash has an extraordinary mind that enables him to solve mathematical problems and crack codes that ordinary people would find extremely challenging. His success in college wins him a satisfying career and an enviable position among science’s elite and lecturing to university. However, the movie also portrays how Nash struggled with schizophrenia throughout the course of college and his career. He often suffered from delusions which caused him to be institutionalized and his marriage to be almost tempestuous.

• A Beautiful Mind (drama movie)
  • The New Zealand actor Russell Crowe does an astounding job portraying John Nash. After seeing him portray characters such as Maximus in the movie Gladiator I wasn’t sure if he would be able to play a character like Nash. However, after watching various interviews with the real person and seeing Crowe’s portrayal I’m not sure any other actor (a part from Leonardo DiCaprio) could have done it so well. Just his demeanor in the movie in comparison to the real Nash’s demeanor in an interview I saw with him is shockingly close.

I especially love the scene where Russell Crow portrays Nash’s emotional distress when he wakes up in the institution and learns that his friend “Charles”, who we later figure out is a delusion has betrayed him to who he things are the “Soviets”.

• A Beautiful Mind (drama movie)
  • Something else that I absolutely loved about the movie had to be the soundtrack. It was one of the things that someone who watched the movie before me was gushing about, but watching the movie and listening to it is completely different from listening to someone talk about it. It was absolutely brilliant, and flawlessly executed. I thought that it helped to increase the drama in many scenes that would have felt almost naked without it.

For example there is an orchestral piece that was playing a little after he and Alicia first meet, and they go out. They are standing outside and he shows her patterns in the stars above. While the scene itself is very romantic, I thought that the background music made the scene even more beautiful and romantic.

• A Beautiful Mind (drama movie)
  • When I watched the movie, one of the things that I noticed that I just could not avoid was the masterful cinematography. The visuals are just as beautiful as the soundtrack, even though I didn’t really expect it to be as clear stunning since the movie was released in 2001. For example there is a part where Nash goes through electro shock therapy while he is institutionalized, and I loved the almost pristine appearance of the scene.

• A Beautiful Mind (drama movie)
  • I thought that one of the most emotional scenes in the entire movie had to be when John finally received the pens. This was because he had gone through so much emotional torment and he had looked forward to that moment for so long.

I would definitely recommend this movie to everyone. It is both inspiring and humbling because it shows that humans are fragile.

Rebecca Lee says :

This movie made me cry. What other movies has Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly played in together. they had great on screen chemistry.

nitakb says :

Hi Rebecca,

Some other movies that they have both starred in is Noah and Winter’s Tale

Alexis Martinez says :

I am not one for biographies but this one was an exception. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially when this is about someone I look up to in my college major. John Nash is indeed blessed with an incredible mind for him to be able to come up with concepts quite complex even to the intellectually gifted but I digress. The film was able to highlight some of his life stories: the problems he experienced in his marriage, his life as a college student, his early years as a father, to name a few. I guess Hollywood wanted to shorten his life story into a 2-hour film and so far, they were able to come up with a befitting rendition of John Nash’s life story.

Maria says :

I think A Beautiful Mind only focuses on John Nash’s life as a person with Schizophrenia. I think the message is of hope that someone with hallucination can produce a work worthy of a Nobel Prize. It is also a message of hope that someone with Schizophrenia can fully recover with the support of medication, family, and true friends. I think the movie is intended to educate the public about mental illness and and its treatment. It showed that mental illness can strike even the most brilliant of minds and that recovery is possible.

Dubravka says :

re : I would definitely recommend this movie to everyone
I would and there are many reasons.
First, we have Russell Crowe, which is his second Oscar nominated movie, just after Gladiator. Second, it’s a personal story. Third, it’s a story about famous people who without their family support wouldn’t make it further in their lives. What else do you need?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1116121640250631/k2311a1216/12.16.14