Deviantart, website
  • I saw them getting noticed and receiving donations, making money through commissions and earning subscriptions from their watchers
  • I thought I could do the same – which I probably could have
  • The only issue in the community is that new artists, no matter how talented, are at a disadvantage
  • My friends and I can speak from experience
  • The website offers a subscription service, which has a monetary cost to the user

• by xmonochrome

Since I always had an interest in art since I was young, I jumped at the discovery of this site. A middle school student, I was slightly naive in my ambitions, probably not helped by being surrounded by artistic friends. I saw them getting noticed and receiving donations, making money through commissions and earning subscriptions from their watchers. I thought I could do the same – which I probably could have.

See, this site allows for artists to submit their work for the world to see, and many times, people are able to earn an income off of it. That was what I wanted to do, but realistically, I

waited too long and ran out of time. Once high school hit, and I wasn’t popular enough on the site, I had to say goodbye to the chance of being a well-known artist. That isn’t the only feature on the site, though. There are more viewers than there are educated artists, and no one is forced to be a professional. Some people just have no other place to preserve their art and decide they might as well post it for the potential for sharing; other people have other reasons for using it, whether viewing and watching (the site’s version of subscribing or following a person) only the other
      purposes.

This site has a plethora of things to do with all the forms of art that they have – ranging from writing to scanned paintings to digital art. It also has a large community, mostly filled with supportive people willing to help any artist along the way, whether they truly need it or not. The only issue in the community is that new artists, no matter how talented, are at a disadvantage. My friends and I can speak from experience. Unless you’re able to invest practically daily into working on things for the site, whether creating or uploading or looking around, your chances of getting significantly noticed ...

• Deviantart, website
      are slim. This is because most really talented people keep most of the attention; those who know of those people will recommend those people, and after a point, many people find little need to dig through less popular art for more people to watch.

The website offers a subscription service, which has a monetary cost to the user; upon purchase or receiving, as it can also be gifted, the user is able to access even more features of the site. Regular users already have access to uploading and editing their profiles, writing journals, and earning points which, after a certain point, can be spent or withdrawn for actual money.

Subscribed users are able to set up a critique system, which is like the comments section but more thorough, and a multitude of polls for others to vote on.

Deviantart is a very large site with several features to support its art community; there is always a massive variety of the masterpieces that can be discovered, especially if one looks long and hard enough for what they want. There are even tutorials and the like to assist those that want it. The entire site is just a very good place for an artist or just an admirer who is willing to dedicate some time to it; the resources there worth the effort.

cpy says :

re : The only issue in the community is that new artists, no matter how talented, are at a disadvantage
I guess this is the case for most art-sharing sites. It takes a lot of hardwork to get recognise in an already saturated "market".

And most newbies just gave up halfway because their efforts are not seen.

I think such a platform can be a double-edged sword … it can make or break you, depending on how strong you are.

tuliy says :

no helpful information about the site, i see your life story only

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2028111639860130/k2311a1128/11.28.14