Sam Smith (singer)
  • One of my favourite songs from this artiste has to be Stay with Me from his album In the Lonely Hour even though I've heard criticisms from other people that it isn't saying much
  • After hearing the song for the first time in someone's car, I fell in love with the lyrics because I believe that they feel so genuine
  • It's not very long and doesn't have many lyrics, but I think it's powerful because it is from the point of view of a man who is lonely
  • He has an amazing voice that is able to belt out some amazing notes, but these days, that alone is not enough to have different people make it in the music industry
  • Funny enough there is one thing that I just can't stand about this artiste and it has nothing to do with his singing

by Redtape

I’m not one of those people who has an interest in mainstream music, so I’m generally one of the last people to find out about certain popular songs even if some people have heard them playing on the radio for ages. The same thing happened when a few of Sam Smith’s songs became very popular. I kept hearing people talk about this “Sam Smith” person but I had no idea who it was. After a while I discovered quite a bit of his music, and though it took me some time to like them, right now it’s gotten to a point where I’m singing them nearly all day everyday.
  • Sam Smith (singer)
  • If you’re like me and didn’t know who this guy was, Sam Smith is an English singer who released a couple popular singles in the region of 2013 to 2014. According to several of his biographies, he grew up loving singing and being influenced by the music of soul artistes such as Aretha Franklin, Mary J. Blige and Whitney Houston. As a matter of fact, in one interview he said that he didn’t really listen to a lot of male artistes until quite recently when he had entered adulthood.

• Sam Smith (singer)
  • I generally don’t really like soul music. I grew up trying to like it, but there was something about much of it that got released during that era that just didn’t appeal to me at the time. However, it’s artistes like Sam Smith that change that for me. It’s songs such as “La La La”, “Stay with Me” and “Latch” that make me feel like I want to test the waters of the genre again.

One of my favourite songs from this artiste has to be “Stay with Me” from his album “In the Lonely Hour” even though I’ve heard criticisms from other people that it isn’t saying much. After hearing the song for the first time in someone’s car, I fell in love with the lyrics because I believe that they feel so genuine. It’s not very long and doesn’t have many lyrics, but I think it’s powerful because it is from the point of view of a man who is lonely. He makes no promises and tells no lies to his potential bed partner about his worth in bed, or whether or not he loves him or her. However he wants company to help him forget whatever hurt he has endured.

• Sam Smith (singer)
  • I believe that what makes a singer like Sam Smith so popular is because his style is so unique. He has an amazing voice that is able to belt out some amazing notes, but these days, that alone is not enough to have different people make it in the music industry. There is something calm and smooth about his style of singing that raises the bar. This is why music such as Latch by Disclosure was so successful, even though I didn’t see any evidence of him in the video at all. I think he is one of the main reasons that the video on Youtube for example got so many more views.

• Sam Smith (singer)
  • One thing that I can certainly say about this singer is that performance wise he’s a bit boring. I’ve been watching a lot of videos of his performances at various concerts and occasions, and it’s apparent that it’s his voice that saves him because he barely moves around or even engages the crowd like some artistes. He is quite emotive, but after a while I can imagine that watching him for so long gets quite boring. To illustrate, there is a concert on his Vevo on youtube of him performing “Latch” and I can think of so many ways that the performance could have been more exciting.

• Sam Smith (singer)
  • Funny enough there is one thing that I just can’t stand about this artiste and it has nothing to do with his singing. It’s actually his haircut, which I think doesn’t compliment him or his features very well. People don’t seem to bring it up, but I personally hate it and think that something else might just have been better. If he wants something “edgy” there are other haircuts around.

If you love soul music, there is a good chance that you might just like Sam Smith’s. He’s still young, so I think that he has a lot of growing do to as an artiste, but I would still encourage people to give him a listen.

Isabella says :

re : Funny enough there is one thing that I just can’t stand about this artiste and it has nothing to do with his singing
I do adore his voice, his song "Stay With Me" from his last album, which won him and his crew many Grammys this year. Even so, however, I, as a musician think his voice is not such an unique product for the business. There are many people who have alike "vocal textures" so to say. It is in my opinion not the voice we should be talking about so much, and his music is wonderful, but not one of a kind just the same as his voice. I respect all the work all the people involved had to go through to make it work and I surely do applause them for what they’ve conquered. On the other hand, it still doesn’t touch me a 100%, or even more as sometimes other artists do. I am not on anybody’s side, but on good music’s. I believe the contemporary radio stations deserve some more worked up songs and surprising talents to overcome the equality of what is going on. Even when we’re talking about different rhythms, it ends up that what is being sold now is very obvious. You can easily calculate the next note that will be played on a song you’ve never heard before. The public needs a revolution to admire, and the musicians need it just as well to look up to and reinforce their own carriers with strong, powerful, concrete music novelty to enrich our worldly musical scene. Thus, repeating, I congratulate Sam Smith for his work, but there’s a lot more to go from there and evolve musically.

ReadingBug says :

The first time I heard Sam Smith sing I had to take a double look because he sings with so much soul that I was shocked. I do not know what they are putting in the water over in Europe, but he has come from a unique group of soulful European singers. I loved his first hit Stay With Me because it was just one of those classic, soulful songs I can listen to all day. His image overall is not really unique in my opinion because he reminds me of a tame Boy George. However, I was surprised that within the first year of his album being released that he needed to undergo some sort of surgery or rest for his vocal cords. That alone just made me think that no matter how beautiful his voice is, he simply does not have the stamina to maintain longevity in the music industry.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5221111639640130/k2311a1121/11.21.14