The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (fantasy movie)  » Movies  »
2.0
  • Later on, I found out that the movie was actually based on one of a series of books written by the author Cassandra Clare
  • Every single time I think about this movie I can't help thinking that it was an unfortunate waste of time and money
  • Since before I even really got into the movie, I thought that the tattoos and leather made him come off as hardcore and mysterious
  • While I know that actors such as Jamie Campbell Bower and Lena Headey are good actors because I have seen them both perform exceptionally in other movies, I wasn't quite sure what to make of Lily Collins as an actress before I started watching it
  • Most people who reviewed it seemed disappointed, which includes those who read the book, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone

by Redtape

When I first saw the trailer for “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones”, I already figured out that the movie wouldn’t be very good, but I was still curious to know what it would be about. Later on, I found out that the movie was actually based on one of a series of books written by the author Cassandra Clare. I guess since I already had the impression that it wouldn’t be that good, I began watching it without a lot of expectations, but it was even more disappointing than I expected.
  • The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (fantasy movie)
  • When the movie begins, the protagonist, a seemingly normal teenager named Clary Fray, discovers that she is seeing a strange symbol everywhere. It embeds itself in her subconscious and soon after she is drawing it unconsciously. On her birthday, her friend decides to take her to a nightclub to celebrate, and after she witnesses a murder there that starts the domino effect to a series of strange events. Clary soon learns that she is descended from a group of people who defend the earth from evil of whom she joins forces with. She also finds out after her mother disappears that she must find a certain cup that might save her.

• The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (fantasy movie)
  • Every single time I think about this movie I can’t help thinking that it was an unfortunate waste of time and money. One of the reasons why is because the plot is overwhelmingly complex and saturated for one movie. Therefore sometimes I had to pause it in order to make some of the information sink in, such as Clary finding out different aspects of her life as a Shadowhunter. There are so many unnecessary scenes for one movie and so much unnecessary information, that I think it’s obvious that it might have been better had it been split into two movies instead.

For example, by the time the movie gets to the part where the group enters Magnus Bane’s party I’m hopelessly lost and confused.

• The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (fantasy movie)
  • One thing that I certainly could not complain about was the costuming. I loved the costumes of the Shadowhunters since it made them look really cool and hardcore. I especially loved the costume of the character Jace. Since before I even really got into the movie, I thought that the tattoos and leather made him come off as hardcore and mysterious.

On the other hand, really did not like the way that the werewolves were done. The lack of hair made me think that they looked ridiculous and like the person did not even start doing the costumes. I also felt that the movie made them come off as much less than scary.

• The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (fantasy movie)
  • While I know that actors such as Jamie Campbell Bower and Lena Headey are good actors because I have seen them both perform exceptionally in other movies, I wasn’t quite sure what to make of Lily Collins as an actress before I started watching it. However, after seeing her play Clary, I truly think that she should consider either getting some more acting classes or doing some indie films as practice before she tries for her next feature film.

Her performance as Clary to me made Twilight seem like Academy Award material, and I am certainly not a Twilight fan. Her performance made her character seem even more irritating, and I just couldn’t stand her bursting into tears every couple minutes, especially when it didn’t even feel believable.

• The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (fantasy movie)
  • The special effects was surprisingly good for a movie such as this one. Honestly, after getting into the movie and seeing how badly directed it was, I just figured that the special effects might be just as bad. For example, I just loved the way that the demons were done in the latter part of the movie.

I think that had wiser decisions been made in the making of this movie, and better actors been chosen, I might have actually liked it. Most people who reviewed it seemed disappointed, which includes those who read the book, so I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1120111639580730/k2311a1120/11.20.14