Avatar, movie (2009)  » Movies  »
1.5
  • The artistry within the CGI seemed so phenomenal, and the teases for the story seemed interesting
  • Speaking of poor Native American metaphor, has anyone else noticed that you could literally switch out the names of the characters from Disney's Pocahontas and still come out with nearly the exact same plot

• by Savannah Paxton

Like nearly everyone else at the time Avatar came out, I entered the theater with high expectations that were blown up by well-done trailers and shining reviews. The artistry within the CGI seemed so phenomenal, and the teases for the story seemed interesting. So perhaps my disappointment with the movie and what will doubtlessly be the subsequent franchise stems from the familiarity with films and stories of other genres that made this seem so lackluster.

Don’t get me wrong,

the visual elements of Avatar were astonishing and beautiful beyond belief, but it seemed like every amount of prestige the film has managed to accumulate stems from this. And only this. I’ll be quite frank and say that it didn’t deserve half of the academy awards it received. Even then, the first How to Train Your Dragon came out around the same time, and it was noted for having even better flight animation.

The story that was so highly beloved and praised by critics left a bad taste in my mouth the first time I watched it. If I wanted a movie to preach at me about the environment, I’d watch Al Gore’s Inconvenient Truth. The narrative was at best lazy and worst repetitive. Whatever writer that decided to name the valued material “Unobtanium” needed to be smacked.

Adding romance to the plot of an anti-imperialist story is common to the point of becoming a cliche. And it’s always the ...

• Avatar, movie (2009)
      man who comes in, sees the error of his ways, and becomes the salvation to the native population. If I wanted to be on the receiving end of that amount of White Savior BS, I’d watch Dances With Wolves or The Last Samurai.

Speaking of poor Native American metaphor, has anyone else noticed that you could literally switch out the names of the characters from Disney’s Pocahontas and still come out with nearly the exact same plot? Jake Sully

and John Smith really isn’t that good of a transmutation.

The fact that such a film with absolutely zero subtlety to the plot attained such high honors baffles me. It just allows for further proof that the Academy has their tropes that they love, and their criteria of what makes a “good film” is a load of tripe.

There is much better Science Fiction out there, and I would not waste my time with Avatar, no matter what the official critics say.

Kristina says :

re : Speaking of poor Native American metaphor, has anyone else noticed that you could literally switch out the names of the characters from Disney’s Pocahontas and still come out with nearly the exact same plot
While I do agree the plot of Avatar closely resembles that of Pocahontas, I really don’t mind. There are so many reboots of classic fairy tails, why should Pocahontas be left out?

Moe says :

Definitely traces of Pocahontas but it doesn’t take away from the movie. Avatar in most ways is unique and as a result it’s the highest grossing film of all time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117111639510430/k2311a1117/11.17.14