Dr. Oz No Bake Energy Boosting Antioxidant Bars  » Recipes  »
  • For the most part, I prefer to use 5-Hour Energy Shots in Berry flavor, but recently I was watching the Dr. Oz show when they featured his energy bar recipe
  • Above is the picture of my wet ingredients except the peanut butter as I like to add that last
  • I found that it made mixing everything together easier
  • You may also noticed that these bars look a little on the chewy side (with exception of the almonds and sunflower seeds) well you should also know that is how they are
  • Personally, I give these a perfect 10 because they work and are completely customizable to ones favorite flavors

by Jennifer Davis

The older that I get the more and more I make use of energy drinks. For the most part, I prefer to use 5-Hour Energy Shots in Berry flavor, but recently I was watching the Dr. Oz show when they featured his energy bar recipe. It contains no caffeine or other fake ingredients just natural foods to help boost energy naturally.

• Dr. Oz No Bake Energy Boosting Antioxidant Bars
  • The ingredients for this recipe are very easy. They are only:

1 cup quick-cook oats (I chose the Great Value Brand)

1/3 cup dried tart cherries (I chose Ocean Spray for the taste)

1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter (I like Jiff)

3 tbsp honey (any kind that you prefer)

1 tsp vanilla (again any kind that you prefer)

Although the recipe does not call for it I also like to add coconut, chocolate pieces, sunflower seeds, almonds and a little brown sugar to slightly sweeten it (the cherries are tart).

Above is the picture of my wet ingredients except the peanut butter as I like to add that last.

• Dr. Oz No Bake Energy Boosting Antioxidant Bars
  • So first, I mixed all my wet ingredients. Then I added the oatmeal, coconut and almonds for extra anti-oxidants an healthy oils. The drizzles around the side of the bowl are from mixing the honey, brown sugar, and vanilla with a wisk. Those are nothing to worry about.

• Dr. Oz No Bake Energy Boosting Antioxidant Bars
  • After I added all my dry ingredients, I then added my peanut butter, chocolate, and cherries. To make mixing easier I melted down my peanut butter with a little extra vanilla and then poured it into the mixture above. I found that it made mixing everything together easier. After I mixed the dry ingredients with the peanut butter I added the chocolate and cherries. It was a really dark mixture when poured into the pan (see the pic below) and it didn’t completely fill my pan until I spread it around.

• Dr. Oz No Bake Energy Boosting Antioxidant Bars
  • After all my mixing, I poured my mixture into a ceramic baking pan sprayed with non-stick oil to help keep everything from sticking. I later learned though, that parchment paper sprayed with the oil would have been a better idea. After allowing the bars to chill for two hours they were stuck to the baking pan and were a little difficult to get off. Also, I spent along time scrubbing the remains of honey and peanut butter from the pan. My ceramic pan is now a little scratched up from all my scrubbing.

• Dr. Oz No Bake Energy Boosting Antioxidant Bars
  • Here is a close up picture of what the should like when cooled. You can see the almonds, cherries, and chocolate, as well as the oat meal and pieces of coconut. You may also noticed that these bars look a little on the chewy side (with exception of the almonds and sunflower seeds) well you should also know that is how they are. If you like a toasted crunch then I would suggest baking these for a few minutes in a 350 degree oven to toast the oatmeal and nuts.

Overall, the process was pretty easy. There were a few things that I would have changed like using parchment paper and a glass baking pan as opposed to my nice ceramic one. Here you can see what they looked like after I dug a few out of my pan once they had cooled. These are just sitting on a cutting board, but you can place them on a wire rack, a decorative plate or whatever you choose. Mine did get lighter in color once they cooled in the fridge. I am not certain why, but I could be because the peanut butter cooled.

I did get lots of energy from these bars and one great thing about it was the complete lack of a sugar crash afterwards. They are delicious particularly with the extra ingredients that I used, but they are good just regular too. They give a nice energy boost that stays for hours and the extra fiber is great for those on a diet.

Personally, I give these a perfect 10 because they work and are completely customizable to ones favorite flavors. The only issues that I had with the sticking were my own fault so I didn’t deduct any points for that.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4917111639500430/k2311a1117/11.17.14