The Babadook (horror movie)  » Movies  »
  • However, as soon as I finished watching it, I was so disappointed I was convinced the person had made a mistake
  • The second majorly disappointing thing about this movie was that it wasn't scary at all, and I know it had absolutely nothing to do with any desensitizing that I might have gained over the years
  • I believe that this has to do with the fact that the director played it safe most of the times and so I don't even think that the psychological thriller aspect of it held much weight
  • I've read a lot of reviews where people constantly raved about how the actress Essie Davis played Amelia, but I completely disagree
  • In my opinion, the plot and the monster itself needs a lot of work, as well as the director needs to watch a lot more horror movies

by Redtape

I’m a sucker for horror movies. Therefore it was a given that I had to check out the movie “The Babadook” once I read about it in an article online. The writer claimed it was one of the most frightening and talked about movies of the year and I was eager to try it, especially since it was featured in a number of film festivals. What made it worse was that a lot of people commenting agreed with the author on what a truly twisted movie it was. However, as soon as I finished watching it, I was so disappointed I was convinced the person had made a mistake.
  • The Babadook (movie)
  • In the movie a single mother Amelia, struggles with taking care of her young son Samuel years after her husband died in a car crash. They are very poor and live in a run-down apartment; and to heap on the additional stress her son is obsessed with monsters and has behavioural problems that causes Amelia to remove him from school. One night Samuel convinces Amelia to read him a bedtime story. He picks a twisted and unfamiliar book about a boogeyman-like monster called “Mr. Babadook”. It frightens them and the book is put away, but soon after Samuel begins communicating with an invisible creature and Amelia begins to feel an ominous presence within the house.

• The Babadook (movie)
  • The main reason why I started off hating “The Babadook” was because it felt like it took forever to get to the point. At first it appeared as if whoever was making the movie couldn’t decide whether the villain was going to be the little boy (perhaps a child psychopath) or something else. In fact, it is clear that the mother feels uncomfortable around her son and there are even a few scenes with sexual undertones.

Then after the scene where Amelia read the book came around, I felt as if the director could not stay focused. The storyline seemed to focus more on the mother losing her mind rather than this sinister entity that had seemingly entered their home. Thus at one point I began to wonder if this “Babadook” thing wasn’t in her head. By the end of the movie, I began to believe that it might have been better had the main villain been a creepy child psychopath instead of a creature that the director obviously couldn’t portray well.

• The Babadook (movie)
  • The second majorly disappointing thing about this movie was that it wasn’t scary at all, and I know it had absolutely nothing to do with any desensitizing that I might have gained over the years. I believe that this has to do with the fact that the director played it safe most of the times and so I don’t even think that the psychological thriller aspect of it held much weight. For example in the climax of the movie, an image of the Babadook appears briefly that looks a like the almost childlike drawing from the book. However, the image of it looked so absurd to me that I was more incredulous and disappointed than anything else.

• The Babadook (movie)
  • The acting was another story altogether. I’ve read a lot of reviews where people constantly raved about how the actress Essie Davis played Amelia, but I completely disagree. While I don’t think that she was the worst actress I had ever seen, I truly believe that she could have been a little more natural and believable. In the scenes where she was possessed by the Babadook she could have exaggerated some things a little bit more to show she was being possessed by something and not simply going insane.

If I had to choose the best actor in the entire movie it would have had to be the child actor who played Samuel, since I was constantly awed by how someone so young could manage to play a role so well.

• The Babadook (movie)
  • The ending of the movie left much to be desired in my opinion. To say I was confused by what happened would be a major understatement. As a matter of fact, I almost felt as if I missed a scene even though I sat straight through the entire mess. The mother Amelia feeds earthworms to what appeared to be the Babadook trapped in the basement. I wasn’t sure if that meant it now lives with them, since I was under the impression that it was excorcised from the woman’s body.

Somehow I feel like one of the only people who truly hated this movie. I really don’t understand what other people saw, and I’m not going to recommend it to other people either because I just don’t get it. In my opinion, the plot and the monster itself needs a lot of work, as well as the director needs to watch a lot more horror movies. I’m only giving it a 3 for effort and the little boy’s acting.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1113111639300630/k2311a1113/11.13.14