Dracula Untold, movie (2014)
  • I found it really interesting that Vlad the Impaler was an actual prince who lived in the 13th century
  • I found out that Brom Stoker chose the name Dracula based on Vlad the Impaler's family name and house
  • When I think of a vampire, I'm thinking of a grotesque monster that lurks in the dark, waiting for food
  • I loved seeing how Vlad could handle himself on his own before becoming a vampire and then after he became a vampire I enjoyed seeing the bats swooping in through the enemy army, causing chaos
  • That formed the crux of the story but I prefer stories to be challenging and not predictable

by Moe

Dracula Untold is a dark fantasy action film that deals with the origins of Count Dracula, the famous character from Brom Stoker’s 1897 novel, Dracula. This movie is laced with action and bits of horror throughout. It’s not a perfect movie but as far as action movies go, it pays a decent homage to the character Count Dracula and is worth a watch.

Vlad the Impaler is a prince in Transylvania. He’s had a difficult upbringing, including being enslaved by the Turkish Empire in his childhood. The Sultan of the Turkish Empire demands 1000 boys from Vlad, including his son and if this request is not met, Transylvania will be at war with the Turkish Empire. Vlad could not possibly hope to withstand the Turkish Empire with his army but he’s also not prepared to give away a 1000 boys to the Turkish Empire. He turns to a vampire in desperation and the vampire turns him into a vampire temporarily, which gives him strength and power like he’s never had before. Using this newfound strength he must deal with the Turkish Empire.

The story is predictable but done well. I found it really interesting that Vlad the Impaler was an actual prince who lived in the 13th century. His father was Vlad II Dracul and even the royal house he belonged to was House Draculesti. I found out that Brom Stoker chose the name Dracula based on Vlad the Impaler’s family name and house. The movie has taken this inspiration and made into a story that works.

Luke Evans did a great job as Vlad the Impaler/ Dracula. He portrayed a man that cared for his family but was able to shift his emotions easily into that of one clearly burdened by a darker past. Like every typical action film, the protagonist of this movie also has a chiseled body. I’ve seen this so often that it’s become almost hard for me to take a chiseled body seriously. There are many ways a protagonist can set him/herself apart from the rest of the cast; a chiseled body doesn’t have to be one of them.

Sarah Gadon as Vlad’s wife, Mina Harker was perfect. She cared for her husband regardless of what he was. This is seen especially when she learns that her husband is a vampire because she doesn’t shy away from him. Her acting was amazing and believable.

Charles Dance as the Master Vampire was done well. When I think of a vampire, I’m thinking of a grotesque monster that lurks in the dark, waiting for food. The Master Vampire was exactly how I’d imagined it would be. It was repulsive and lurked in the darkness; Charles Dance was made to look like a vampire should be. Charles Dance acted in a manner befitting a monster (fearless, dominant and scary) and as such he was able to bring the Master Vampire to life. When I watched the film, I was getting amped up during the scenes involving the Master Vampire and Vlad because I didn’t know whether Vlad would live or die. The suspense in these scenes had my heart racing.

My attention didn’t waver from start to finish. The plot advancement was quick, within the first 20 minutes of the movie, Vlad loses two of his men to an unknown creature (later revealed to be the Master vampire) and by the time the movie reaches it’s middle, Vlad has turned into a vampire temporarily. After he becomes a vampire, Vlad is able to turn into a flock of bats at will and for me that was the most chilling part of the movie. There was violence throughout the film but the bats would make a shrill screeching sound and seem menacing in a group.

The fight scenes were choreographed well. I loved seeing how Vlad could handle himself on his own before becoming a vampire and then after he became a vampire I enjoyed seeing the bats swooping in through the enemy army, causing chaos. It was as realistic as it could be for a fantasy action movie.

The movie was fairly predictable which didn’t sit well with me. I knew that Vlad would approach the Master Vampire for help in defeating the Turkish Empire. That formed the crux of the story but I prefer stories to be challenging and not predictable. I want to be guessing throughout the film.

The film was fast-paced as I mentioned before. This worked well for the movie but some parts were rushed to quickly and didn’t make sense. For example, I’d assume, after losing two men to the Master Vampire, Vlad wouldn’t trust the vampire and if he did need to solicit it’s help, at least he would think it through. Instead, he seeks out the vampire assuming that it wouldn’t kill him.

Overall the movie was done well. It’s not quite a horror movie because it’s not intended to scare. I would recommend this movie.

• Dracula Untold poster.

• Dracula Untold - (2014)
  • This is Vlad the Impaler in his vampire form (Dracula). He is changing into a flock of bats.

• Dracula Untold - (2014)
  • This is the beautiful Sarah Gadon as Mina Harker, Vlad’s wife.

• Dracula Untold - (2014)
  • This is the Master Vampire. He’s as repulsive as a vampire should be.

• Dracula Untold - (2014)
  • This is a closer look at the Master Vampire. Notice his red eyes and grim expression that give him a menacing look.

This is a movie that reveals a possible story about the origins of Count Dracula. The director of this film has done a commendable job in creating a story worthy of the big screen. There are minor logical gaps but it’s made up for by the riveting screenplay. It’s predictable but watchable as well. I enjoyed this movie.

Azriel says :

It was the animation of this movie that had caught my attention from start to finish. The movie had a different take on the Dracula’s humanity and what become of him and what drove him to the dark side. It was quite a surprise that in this movie he sure had a reason for doing what he did. I like such stories combined with good cinematography and action scenes.

Moe says :

Yes it was refreshing to see a different tale unfold on screen and I think it also sends of the message that often bad people are victims of circumstance and become what they are as a result.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1112111639290130/k2311a1112/11.12.14