Apollo 18, movie
  • Unfortunately, all of the promise falls flat as the movie is just mind-numbingly dull
  • Honestly, if they had set this in the near future and set it on any celestial body other than our moon, I think that the movie would have worked a lot better
  • I know that found footage movies are already a love it or hate it format

• by David Finniss

I had seen a couple of video reviews that suggested that this movie was OK. It wasn’t without its flaws, but it was still decent. The average viewer rating on Netflix, however, has it at one and a half stars. After seeing the movie for myself, I find the latter to be a far better representation.

I can see why this movie was green lit. Having a found footage movie in space has tons of potential. You have a small cast in an isolated area where cameras are recording what’s happening. It eliminates the “why are they still holding the camera?”

problem and puts them in inhospitable environment where help isn’t readily available. Unfortunately, all of the promise falls flat as the movie is just mind-numbingly dull.

I never gave a rat’s behind about any of the characters and the premise pushed itself beyond my suspension of disbelief. As such,I never felt any tension or investment in what was happening.

I can buy an episode of “Doctor Who” having the moon turn out to be an egg, because that’s “Doctor Who”, the outlandish scenarios that they can come up with are part of the fun. This, however, is supposed to be far more realistic and that

ends up working against the movie.

I just couldn’t get behind the idea that there are aliens on our moon. First of all, if that were the case, wouldn’t we have encountered them on earlier missions? Second of all, the way these things function makes no sense. Maybe that was the idea, that they defy everything we understand about the way life works, but that’s never established and, as such, it comes off as more lazy than anything else. Honestly, if they had set this in the near future and set it on any celestial body other than our moon, I think that the ...

• Apollo 18, movie
      movie would have worked a lot better.

If you’re going to use aliens, you have to do better than rocks. I’m sorry, rocks aren’t scary. I’ll grant you, the shots where they suddenly sprout legs are unnervingly bizarre, but it isn’t enough tension to sustain an entire movie.

Even the attempt at paranoia fuel at the end of the movie where they bring up that we have brought rocks from the moon back and some of them are missing makes no sense. We know that none of this happened, so why are you wasting our time?

I know that found footage movies are already a “love it or hate it” format. This, sadly, goes beyond that. I liked “Cloverfield” and stick up for the first two “Paranormal Activity” movies. Beyond that, “Chronicle” was actually rather fantastic. There is such a thing as good found footage movies, but this is most certainly not one of them.

I can’t recommend this movie at all. It brings nothing to the table. It’s not creepy, entertaining, or unique in any way. Even in the age of Netflix and Redbox, this isn’t worth the trouble of renting. There are far more worthwhile things you could be watching instead of this. It’s just a waste.

Angela Jimenez says :

Will have to add this movie to my list.

Andrew Leither says :

Most movies have their flaws, that’s for sure, especially if you have seen it a couple of times and know where t look. In your review you speak about rocks they get legs and suddenly go missing. I like it when you mentioned it in your review, “Why are they still holding the camera?” You either love these kind of movies, or hate it but in my opinion, after reading your review carefully, I think I’d give this movie a miss as there are hundreds of movies out there waiting for me to watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116111639170630/k2311a116/11.6.14