Pegasus Coin (2014)
  • For those who want to preserve the coin and are ok with not being able to experience the texture, I wouldn't recommend taking the case off
  • The one problem I have with the front of the coin is that the clouds seem to add clutter, which reduces its appeal
  • For many Canadian coins, the certificate of authenticity includes a story or an interesting tidbit about the image on the coin
  • Unfortunately this coin didn't have any such story but I'm chalking that up to it not actually being a Canadian coin
  • It has no design or writing on the outside

by Moe

Recently, I was given a coin as a gift. Generally when I buy or receive coins, they’re generally Canadian. This coin that was gifted to me was made for Tokelau, New Zealand. Tokelau is an island and a territory of New Zealand. The coin is called ‘Pegasus’, and it is a masterpiece. It’s a five dollar coin and I absolutely love it.

The coin comes in a red box (similar to a jewelery box) and its inside is lined with red velvet. I’m glad most coins come with these boxes because it makes the coin feel more valuable and gives extra protection to it. Within the velvet is a large opening, where this coin rests. It’s diameter is 38.6mm, which makes it a really large coin. For perspective, the coin can be said to be slightly bigger than the average lens in a pair of glasses. The coin is 1 ounce of pure silver and holding it in the palm of my hand, I can lightly feel the weight of the coin. I generally prefer my coins to be not too big and not too small. This coin is on the larger end for coins and yet the size suits it well. The face of the coin is of Pegasus emerging from the clouds. Since the coin is quite large, the image stands out. Pegasus is crafted beautifully and the wings especially, have outstanding detail (four rows of feather, each intricately made). At first glance, I couldn’t tell that Pegasus was coming out of the clouds. The part of the image that was intended to be clouds, was well done but could easily be misinterpreted as a bush.

Under light, the image of Pegasus seems similar to a hologram. The effect is beautifully done and more impressive as it relies solely on light for this effect. The light, when reflected on the clouds, appears to be rays of sunshine. It’s picturesque and makes Pegasus appear majestic.

The coin is encased in a transparent case in its shape. I want to preserve the value of the coin, which is why I’ve left my case on. However this is a coin where the texture seems to be a feature. The image of Pegasus was not carved into the coin, rather extra silver was added on to the coin to create it (proof silver). Features such as the wings and the clouds appear to have enough texture that feeling the image would be a treat. For those who want to preserve the coin and are ok with not being able to experience the texture, I wouldn’t recommend taking the case off.

The one problem I have with the front of the coin is that the clouds seem to add clutter, which reduces its appeal. It’s no doubt beautiful, however a cluttered face of a coin reduces elegance of the coin in some parts. The clouds could’ve been dispersed differently, to create a balance on the coin face.

The reverse of the coin has picture of Queen Elizabeth II and the symbol for Tokelau, New Zealand. Both images, have been made the same way as the Pegasus image on the front. The reverse is simple, as expected and complements the coin perfectly.

A certificate of authenticity is included with this coin. For many Canadian coins, the certificate of authenticity includes a story or an interesting tidbit about the image on the coin. Unfortunately this coin didn’t have any such story but I’m chalking that up to it not actually being a Canadian coin. It has a limited mintage of 50,000 which makes it quite rare. It’s just under $80.00 and can be found online or at designated Canada Post locations.

• Pegasus Coin - (2014)
  • This is ‘Pegasus’ - (2014). It’s a 1oz, PURE silver coin. Note the wings and how each ridge in the wing has been created perfectly to showcase each and every feather. The clouds are the bottom of the coin and despite the clutter, the coin face is a truly a work of art.

• Pegasus Coin - (2014)
  • This is the coin case. It has no design or writing on the outside; it was made solely for protecting the coin.

• Pegasus Coin - (2014)
  • This is ‘Pegasus’, inside of its box. Notice how the light that reflects off the coin, creates a striking effect. Pegasus appears majestic and the clouds seem to be tinged with sunlight.

• Pegasus Coin - (2014)
  • This is the certificate of authenticity that accompanies ‘Pegasus’. Basic information about the coin is listed on it.

• Pegasus Coin - (2014)
  • This is the reverse of the ‘Pegasus’ coin.

I recommend this coin for anyone’s collection. The image of Pegasus on the front of coin is extremely well done and for that alone, this coin is worth buying. By lifting the coin, one can tell it’s a big piece of silver. At 50,000 mintage, it’s quite a rare coin and would be perfect as a gift.

Loretta Edmiston says :

I would so much love to have a Pegasus coin. I does not have to be silver or gold just the coin. I had one before and I missed placed it. Could I please get another one please. I would mean the world to me. Please let me know I hope the answer is yes. Loretta Edmiston.

Moe replies :

Yes, you can get another one. I know for a fact that Ebay is selling this particular coin in proof silver and coloured at discounted price. I’m not sure if the coin is being sold in-store still but it’s quite possible they are.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 465111639150330/k2311a115/11.5.14