Wat Rongkhun, Thailand  » Travel  »
Pa O Don Chai Road, A. Muang, Chiang Rai, 57000, Thailand
  • I paid 250 baht (8 dollars) to drive three persons in my group
  • This reminds me to do good and avoid bad deeds
  • I spent around one and half hours, and I think it is more than enough

by Pusaka

If you have never felt excited but scared at the same time, or hopeful but worried at the same time, then this place may offer those feelings. At first we did not plan to visit this so called white temple because it is located far from Bangkok. The shortest distance is around 775 km and this means 10 hours by car. Unexpectedly my stay in Thailand was extended for three more days due to my return flight’s schedule change. I then went to Chiang Rai to visit Wat Rongkhun and other places of interest up there. This place is located some 8 km from Chiang Rai city center. The best way to go there is by tuktuk. They will wait for you during your visit. Return fare is normally negotiable. I paid 250 baht (8 dollars) to drive three persons in my group.

As its nickname suggests, the main building and a couple of others are completely white in color like made out of snow inside and outside. You can take pictures with the temple as the background, but it is advisable to do it fast to let other visitors have their time, or otherwise you will soon be warned. The main building reflects the heaven, and the main footpath leading to the entrance reflects a bridge over the hell. When stepping on the bridge, hundreds of white hands emerge from below like asking for your help to save them. This reminds me to do good and avoid bad deeds. Further, it is common to remove shoes when entering certain places, but it is very regrettable as taking pictures is not allowed inside the main building where there is a Buddha statue (it is not a worship place though).

Wat Rongkhun is not only the bridge and the temple; it also consists of some other buildings including two exhibition halls. The first is a house to paintings (some are of modern arts), while the second accommodates Thai culture knickknacks. In a corner I could find lines of souvenir shops, food stalls, and a money changer.

• The main building and the bridge of Wat Rongkhun

• Wat Rongkhun, Thailand
  • Hands emerge from beneath of the bridge

• Wat Rongkhun, Thailand
  • ‘Prosperity well’ where people may throw some coins to have a better life.

• Wat Rongkhun, Thailand
  • Heads hanging in front of one of the exhibition halls

• Art exhibition hall.

• Unknown building having nice design within Wat Rongkhun

Overall it is a nice tourist spot, recommended for visitors to Northern Thailand. Above all the admission is free. I spent around one and half hours, and I think it is more than enough.

jay-are Duranggo says :

To travel from any places is very interesting , And to have opportunity to visit this place is a gift. Because the items on this place show you that our life has limitation, to do nonsense
things. Life is to short so spent to those who are important to us live with faith and trust in God. And put in mind that their is judgement day for us.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3821101638790431/k2311a1021/10.21.14