Fine Silver Coin - Jewel of Life (2014)
  • I love this coin because of the meaning it holds and how lovely the coin design is
  • However, purely from a collector's viewpoint, I must say I was slightly disappointed by the size of the coin
  • It will depreciate overtime if removed and a coin with such visual imagery should definitely be taken care of properly
  • Having received it for my birthday, I would recommend it for that occasion or Christmas

by Moe

Put simply, this coin is magnificent. I love this coin because of the meaning it holds and how lovely the coin design is. Before I describe the coin, I must say this isn’t just for coin collectors but also for anyone who desires a unique piece of jewelry.

This was a birthday gift from a friend who had bought it at an authorized Royal Canadian Mint dealership. The coin is called the Jewel of Life and it comes in a small, maroon box (similar to a jewelry box), which in turn is enclosed by a white box. The white box displays the image of the coin on the front and states the designer’s name on the reverse (Caroline Neron). The image on the front of the box is meant to represent the beauty of Canadian winter. I love winter and my birthday is in that season as well. To me the image depicts perfectly what I see in winter- a beautiful, Canadian landscape. It was the perfect gift for me. On the sides of the box there is a French, and English translation of a poem (Joyau De Vie/ Jewel of Life) that portrays a vivid image of a tree as a protector, even of winter. The poem added more depth to the coin, as the words paint what the tree truly means.

The coin is enclosed in a transparent, coin capsule within the velvet interior of the maroon box. The coin is made of 99.99% silver and the leafless tree at the center of the coin is gold plated. There are five, small Swarovski crystals placed in between the branches of the tree. They represent snowflakes and if the coin is placed on a dark background, the snowy effect will become more apparent. The coin is a masterpiece and when light reflects off the crystals, the effect is similar to that of sunlight on snow (try taking the coin outside when it’s sunny or putting it under a lamp to see the effect).

This can be used as a pendant in a necklace, something I’ve been seriously considering. The coin isn’t too large, so as a pendant, it would fit perfectly for anyone that is interested in that. However, purely from a collector’s viewpoint, I must say I was slightly disappointed by the size of the coin. As a pendant it’s perfect, but as a collector’s piece, I wish the coin had been slightly bigger so the design would appear to be less cluttered.

For anyone who’s serious about collecting coins, I’d advise against trying to remove the plastic case that the coin seems to be sealed in. It will depreciate overtime if removed and a coin with such visual imagery should definitely be taken care of properly.

• Fine Silver Coin - Jewel of Life (2014)
  • This is the coin, Jewel of Life. It is unique for the use of gold and crystals in its design.

• Fine Silver Coin - Jewel of Life (2014)
  • This is the coin, Jewel of life, in its protective, maroon box.

• Fine Silver Coin - Jewel of Life (2014)
  • This is the front of the white box that comes with the coin. The image of the coin is on the front, including the initials of Caroline Neron, the designer of the coin.

• Fine Silver Coin - Jewel of Life (2014)
  • This is the reverse of the white box that comes with the coin. Here we see the designer’s name listed, along with the composition of the coin.

• Fine Silver Coin - Jewel of Life (2014)
  • This is the maroon box, the white box and a certificate of authenticity, provided by the Royal Canadian Mint.

This is a truly spectacular coin and I recommed it to those who are into collecting coins and for those into jewelry. Having received it for my birthday, I would recommend it for that occasion or Christmas. It’s approximately the size of a Canadian quarter but the design seems a little cluttered as a result.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4610101638661131/k2311a1010/10.10.14