Rubber Soul (The Beatles Album)
  • The reason I decided to review this album in particular is because I consider it to be one of the most underrated albums of all time
  • Unfortunately, this seems to make them forget about the fantastic transitional phase they had in-between
  • I believe this phase is best highlighted by the Rubber Soul Album
  • Sure the sitar part isn't amazing, but it adds a quality to the song which makes it folksy and familiar but extremely fresh at the same time
  • I highly recommend listening to this song multiple times, focusing on the beautiful melody and the cynical lyrics, it's truly amazing how the two come together

• by Albert Park

The reason I decided to review this album in particular is because I consider it to be one of the most underrated albums of all time. You are probably thinking, “HAH! The Beatles… underrated?!” Yes, yes I’ve heard it before, but I’ve held onto my opinion over the years, and here’s precisely why.

When people think of The Beatles they immediately think of their shaggy mop-top boy-band days (A Hard Day’s Night, With the Beatles, etc), or their later psychedelic, hyper-creative phase (Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club, The White Album, etc). Unfortunately, this seems to make them forget about the fantastic transitional phase they had in-between! I believe this phase is best highlighted by the Rubber

Soul Album.

The album kicks off with one of their most exhilarating creation, “Drive My Car.” Between the refreshingly simple intro riff, McCartney’s voice which transitions perfectly from raucous to sincere, and the playful lyrics, this song pretty much has everything The Beatles did right when it comes to rock music and some more.

I can’t forget to mention, “Norweigian Wood.” Sure the sitar part isn’t amazing, but it adds a quality to the song which makes it folksy and familiar but extremely fresh at the same time. I never get bored of this song! I highly recommend listening to this song multiple times, focusing on the beautiful melody and the cynical lyrics, it’s truly amazing how the

two come together.

The most popular track on the album is arguably “Michelle” one of McCartney’s finest works. If you are looking for a song that sends shivers down your spine, this is it. The tender, romantic riff will capture anyone’s interest in a very intense way. The backing vocals in this one is also a step above other Beatles song, it has a hauntingly vintage quality which does an excellent job of accenting McCartney’s intoxicating vocals. This is the kind of song you want to play for the girl of your dreams on your first date - bonus points if her name is Michelle, and she’s French!

If I am going to mention “Michelle” of course ...

• Rubber Soul (The Beatles Album)
      I need to give “Girl” some love as well, they are extremely similar instrumentation-wise but polar in their lyrical tone. Being Lennon’s work, this one is quite cynical, but the mood and lyrics are extremely relatable for anyone who’s been in the powerless side of a relationship. In a strange way, this makes it rather comforting, almost like being in the company of friends. Unlike “Michelle,” this is not a song you’d ever show a loved one, it’s the kind of song you listen to after a messy break-up, in company of some cheap wine.

Finally, we come to the finest track on the album and possibly the entire Beatles’ discography, “In My Life.” I certainly

can’t say that this one is underrated; any true Beatles fan is quick to highlight this track, but it should really be up there with “Hey Jude,” “Yesterday,” or even “All you Need is Love,” in terms of universality. It carries a message that everyone can relate to, about fond memories and nostalgia but also the phenomenon of finding love that’s somehow even more valuable than the treasures of the past. This message is wrapped up in a gorgeous package of soft yet powerful riffs and impeccable harmonies.

That’s only a taste of Rubber Soul, almost every other song in this album is amazing in it’s own way, so don’t take it from me, check it out!

Wahyu Syahputra says :

re : The reason I decided to review this album in particular is because I consider it to be one of the most underrated albums of all time
That’s true. It is a great album that made influence The Beatles music style

Andy Brown says :

It’s a turning point in the band’s career. Before Rubber Soul, The Beatles were just a really good pop band. But from here on in, they became something truly remarkable. It was this album that started turning them into the most extraordinary band in music history.

Giordano Bruno says :

It is true this is a very underrated album of the Beatles. Most fans and even experts always focus on album as St Peppers or the White Album. I think Rubber Soul has classic songs like "Drive My Car" I like a lot.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1429091638530330/k2311a0929/9.29.14