Trip to Tachileik, Myanmar
  • To explore better I think you need about three hours, no more

by Pusaka

The word ‘Myanmar’ reminds me to a rather isolated country with poor people and not very well maintained public infrastructures. It had been, however, my opinion before I visited this country. Last July I went to the city of Tachileik of Myanmar through Mae Sai town of Thailand. Both small cities are connected by a short bridge over a river. There was no charge when I left and reentered Thailand through Thai immigration office at the south end of the bridge. Surprisingly a Thai immigration officer explained me that I had to handover 500 baht (around 16 dollars) at the other end of the bridge to the immigration office of Myanmar. As a matter of fact, I had learnt about this ‘one day visa fee’ through some blogs. They even give information that the formal fee is 10 dollars but they accept only 500 baht! There was a very good surprise when I stepped into the immigration office of Myanmar. They only ensure that I must leave Myanmar and return to Thailand on the very same day, and for that my passport was stamped and I was not charged a cent!

Tachileik is a small town. There are not very many places you can see up there, though some of them are really good. You can even go on foot to visit these locations if you are young or strong enough as Tachileik is very hilly. Do not worry if you want to relax a little in visiting these places, simply wave a tuktuk (a tricycle motor accommodating three passengers maximum). They will drive wherever you want. I met first tuktuk just a few meters behind Myanmar immigration office. The driver is very professional. He offered me to visit places of interest by showing me their pictures. I pointed out three spots, Phra Jow Lak Keng Temple, Shwe Dagon, and Dhammayon. I was not interested in other places such as casino and hill tribe settlement. This is my reasons to choose the three spots. The temple has a very specific and good architecture, Shwe Dagon is a duplicate of the building with the same form (and the same name) in Yangon so I do not need to go to Yangon to see it, and Dhammayon has a number of beautiful statues. Above all, the admission is free. You can find souvenir stalls in the last two places. The tuktuk driver charged me 150 baht for driving me through pretty good quality roads to these places and back to the immigration gate. I spent two hours in Tachileik. To explore better I think you need about three hours, no more.

• Trip to Tachileik, Myanmar
  • Gate to Myanmar from Thailand. Behind the gate is the city of Tachileik of Myanmar.

• Trip to Tachileik, Myanmar
  • Tachileik, city of the golden triangle (between Myanmar, Thailand, and Laos)

• Trip to Tachileik, Myanmar
  • Phra Jow Lak Keng Temple. Good architecture, particularly construction of the roof.

• Trip to Tachileik, Myanmar
  • Shwe Dagon Pagoda. It is the duplicate of the pagoda in Yangon (Myanmar), with the same form and the same name. Slightly smaller but still worth to visit.

• Trip to Tachileik, Myanmar
  • Dhammayon. Again the roof design is marvelous. The statues are also very specific of its kind in Myanmar.

Having visited Tachileik, now I have different but much better impression about Myanmar.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3825091638481230/k2311a0925/9.25.14