Samsung Gear 2 smartwatch
  • But I never really had an idea of how a smartwatch would feel on my wrist, which is the reason why I thought of buying the Gear 2 which was the first smartwatch that got my attention
  • The best thing about this watch is that it could be paired with Samsung's smartphones and some tablets too
  • I think the developers have utilized the whole screen very nicely
  • But luckily this watch is designed in a way that I didn't had this problem with it
  • Concluding the review, I'd just say that I'd recommend you this device if you have a Samsung compatible device

by Hamza Butt

Being a boy I really like watches. But I never really had an idea of how a smartwatch would feel on my wrist, which is the reason why I thought of buying the Gear 2 which was the first smartwatch that got my attention. The best thing about this watch is that it could be paired with Samsung’s smartphones and some tablets too.
  • Samsung Gear 2
  • The watch has got a 1.3 inch LCD display. I think the developers have utilized the whole screen very nicely. There aren’t many apps available on this display, but the one’s that are available are displayed very nicely. The best example of this is the IRS remote control app, where you only get the Power, Volume and Channel change buttons on the watch. The screen is very responsive too, I haven’t experienced a swipe or touch yet that didn’t registered. The colors on the screen are very vivid and crisp and I was easily able to use the watch outdoors.

What I really like about the watch is that it’s got a motion sensor which means you don’t have to wake up the watch by tapping or pressing any kind of buttons, but you can simply shake your hand whenever you wish to wake it up.

• Samsung Gear 2
  • The watch has got plenty of holes which makes it fit any wrist size. I myself am a very skinny person and most of the watches I have don’t fit into my wrist perfectly. But luckily this watch is designed in a way that I didn’t had this problem with it.

The Gear 2 do comes with a heart rate monitor just like in the S5, but I actually found it to be really inconsistent. Even if you test your heart rate 3 times in a row you are going to get a different value every time. I get a noticeable difference of 12 bpm, perhaps it depends on how tight the watch is stuck with your wrist and the position of the hand also effects the reading in my opinion.

You can also replace the default wristband with any band you like. The reason you can do so is that this time the camera is fit inside the watch’s body unlike the original Gear where the camera was placed in the band making it unchangeable.

• Samsung Gear 2
  • You can use this watch with samsung devices such as S3, S4, and S5, but before you can use them you need to download the Gear manager which lets the devices communicate via bluetooth. The best thing was that when I turned on the bluetooth in s5 and rebooted the device it automatically gave me a message that it has detected the presence of Gear 2 and it gave me a download link to the Gear manager right from that window, so you won’t have to search for this software much if you’re looking to use this watch with your Samsung device.

I really like listening to music on it, because its got really loud speakers. The speakers are on the back side of the watch. Even outdoors the full volume would get you a pretty high quality playback. After buying this watch I don’t ever pick my phone outdoors to listen to music, because I find it easy to play music from the watch instead from my phone.

• Samsung Gear 2
  • The watch has got a 2MP camera, and you shouldn’t really expect miracles from this one, because after all, we’re talking about a camera in a smartwatch. The colors don’t really have a punch and the overall quality of the images are low. As far as I can think this camera can only prove helpful to someone who is looking to get some pics or videos in stealth. The good thing is that you can transfer all the pics and videos to your smartphone as well.

Just like the s5 this watch is IP7 certified too which means it’s dirt and water resistant. I actually dropped this watch in a bucket full of water for around 10 seconds, and it is functioning like new till now which means that it really is water-resistant.

• Samsung Gear 2
  • One feature I really like in the watch is the pedometer. This thing actually do works, but the only glitch I found in this feature is that while walking it just gets stuck on a number for quite a while, and then just jumps 8 to 9 steps to keep the foot step count accurate.

As far as the battery is concerned, it is rocking a 300 mAh battery which might not sound too big, but actually it’s more than perfect for a watch. I usually get 3 days out of this battery before I have to recharge it. The watch ain’t got much running in the background which is why it’s battery long, and in terms of battery management you only get the screen brightness controls.

Concluding the review, I’d just say that I’d recommend you this device if you have a Samsung compatible device. If you don’t have one, then don’t buy this watch because some of the features it’s got only work when you have a samsung device available to pair with it.

Berkes Lidi says :

I really like this watch-phone I think it’s practical too And very smart Do you know how much time (though we know each hour), but it can be a number of things to do. Love it :) :)

Manvii says :

Very informative review. Definitely motivated me to check it out

felix chuks says :

re : But I never really had an idea of how a smartwatch would feel on my wrist, which is the reason why I thought of buying the Gear 2 which was the first smartwatch that got my attention
Well i have used some other smart watch before from Samsung and it worked pretty good for me, that was why i decided to still buy this Gear 2, it only cost lees than $ 45, but to say fact, am really enjoying it, it keeps me up to date with time always, good on my wrist….I will say its just a nice watch to use.

Tomi says :

It’s the best smart watch available now, with a 300mAh battery capacity, just perfect for a smart watch.Saw this watch with some of my friends and decided to go for it.Its just too cool.

Bikram Jung Jaishi says :

I have used some other smart watch before from Samsung and it worked pretty good for me. I am really enjoying it, it keeps me up to date with time always, good on my wrist.

Trayon Thomas says :

This is the coolest gadget I have ever bought in my life hands down. All of the things that I needed are equipped in this watch are things dealing with health and apps. I use this watch when I go running or jogging to keep up with my heart rate. It’s like a built in computer on my wrist which is pretty impressive. I would let everyone know your aren’t waisting your time purchasing this watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6419091638350230/k2311a0919/9.19.14