Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner  » Housewares  »
  • It has stood up very well to pretty heavy use and has not broken in the same period as other machines which earns it a higher rating from me, but I do not recommend it to others if they do not have several people and pets and have not broken other machines
  • If you go through a lot of machines as I do, this becomes cost effective for you
  • I suggest this machine only to people who are very able bodied

by duckfan

I have several children and pets and I am very hard on vacuums. I have gone through somewhere around 4 or 5 per floor in my home in 20 years. Usually vacuums stop sucking at the level I need to pick up the dirt and pet hair after a few years of use. Dyson has a great reputation for being very good at suction so we purchased this vacuum thinking it would work for our whole home. The vacuum does have wonderful suction and can lift all of our debris. It also fulfills one of my biggest needs and one of the ways I have broken other machines which is that many pieces of it come apart to clear clogs. I have never had to take this apart to clean out hair or debris clogged in tubes, but if I do I will be able to easily. Most machines I have used have required me to have cleaned them out 4 or 5 times by this point in my use and this has never needed it. All of the tubes are 100% clear of hair.

I was very happy that this model has a bag free system and you empty it into a trash can without having to buy extra bags, but it is messier than other bagless machines I have used. The bottom portion of the collection canister opens and debris falls out. The trouble I have is material such as hair will stick in it and I have to shake it which releases dust into the air or grab it with my hands and pull the dirt and dust out by hand.

This is a very expensive machine that has more flaws than it should for the money. It has stood up very well to pretty heavy use and has not broken in the same period as other machines which earns it a higher rating from me, but I do not recommend it to others if they do not have several people and pets and have not broken other machines. If you go through a lot of machines as I do, this becomes cost effective for you. If you do not, this is far more machine at a big cost than is needed and I would look at another machine.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
  • This is the front and side of the machine. As you can see the canister to collect dirt and debris is clear. This is wonderful when you have sucked an item in you wish to retrieve. To remove this section you push the button at the top of the carrying handle just above the yellow part of the machine.

This photo also illustrates how to carry the unit. The unit is quite heavy, but it does come with a handle to carry it up and down stairs.

The top of the unit opens to become a long hose. With the hose you can easily reach 12 foot ceilings once you have expanded it. There are no additional pieces to expand the the hose included with the machine. The hose compacts into the machine and expands several feet when extended.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
  • This is the door to the filter opened. The canister that holds the collected dirt sits on top of this part. This section is rarely dirty and the filter is typically as white as seen.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
  • The clear plastic part opens to reveal the filter. In this picture I have lifted the filter which is the white item ringed in purple. This is washable by hand and reuseable.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
  • This is the adjustment for carpets or hardwoods. The dial is twisted to move from different surfaces.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
  • This is the front of the unit when reclined for use.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
  • This grey button is how the pieces snap on and off. The bottom hose comes off for cleaning which is nice. The machine has these buttons in grey and red at several points to remove pieces easily. They are very easy to use.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
  • There is no button to make the machine recline for use. To make it recline, one puts their foot on the machine and pushes which causes the front to raise and the back to recline. It is much more awkward to do than push a button like on other machines.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
  • This shows the tools snapped into place on the machine and the cord holder. This does not have an automatic cord rewind and you must unwind the entire cord to use the hose and tools.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
  • This shows the tools that come standard with the machine. The small brush retracts and the same tool becomes a crevice tool. The other tool that comes with this is a flat tool. Both tools work well, but if you clean thing such as blinds or stairs regularly I would get the accessory packs offered by the manufacturer at extra cost. These two tools will clean upholstery and stairs, but it takes work to do so and you will need to switch between the two tools to get anything clean. Neither of these are suitable for blinds or curtain cleaning.

My review on the Dyson DC33 is mixed. This is a great vacuum for certain homes only. If you have no area rugs and do not want to vacuum under cabinets or furniture. The name is misleading and that is not in its favor. I am not the only consumer to assume that multi surface meant it could be used on area rugs. The makers of this machine mean by multi surface that it can be used both on hard flooring and carpets which is true, but it makes no mention in the description on any of the websites I looked at nor on the box that this machine is not suitable for area rugs.

If this machine is used on an area rug it has too much suction and begins to lift the carpet up. This results in it making the loud noise that it intentionally makes to signal you have sucked up something. The only way to work around this is to use the hand tools or to put something heavy on every corner of the area rug to hold it down. I find this method works with my smaller rugs, but with larger rugs the only way to not hear the noise is to vacuum very close to your feet so that your weight is holding the rug down.

While I am very happy with the performance of the vacuum, I am not happy with how tall the front of it is. When tilted back as most people use a vacuum, the front end pushes up so that it is higher than a standard vacuum and this makes it too tall to vacuum under cabinets or furniture. This machine is a good 2 inches taller than my last vacuum and is in fact the first vacuum I have owned in 20 years that is too tall to vacuum under cabinets and under the front of furniture.

• Dyson DC33 Multi Floor Upright Bagless Vacuum Cleaner
This machine is very heavy to push when in use and is very heavy to carry. I suggest this machine only to people who are very able bodied. I do not recommend this vacuum to anyone who has trouble carrying a heavy vacuum. This is so heavy we ended up purchasing another vacuum so that each vacuum can stay on one floor so that I do not have to carry this.

In the end, if you have all hardwoods and wall to wall carpet and can get this on sale it is a fine vacuum, but I would not pay full price for it. My other Dyson vacuum is much nicer and if you can buy one of the ball models I would get that as it is better than this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5317091638271130/k2311a0917/9.17.14