Trip to Ayutthaya, Thailand  » Travel  »
1.5
  • I think only archeologists are interested in seeing all of these mess
  • Do not take the air-conditioned second class as the cost is ten to twelve times as much
  • This is the city of ruined temples, only a few of them can still be enjoyed mainly due to the original form which is well maintained
  • Wat Lokaya Suttharam (free admission), if you have visited Wat Po in Bangkok then you may be very disappointed, it is much better not to come here (even if you have not visited Wat Po)

• by Pusaka

It is said that Ayutthaya (pronounced as ah-you-teah) is the former capital of the Kingdom of Siam (Thailand). This made me want to visit the city but I did not expect to see only ruins. Alas, the city accommodates many ruins of the temples, but surprisingly I could not find the ruin of the old palace. I think only archeologists are interested in seeing all of these mess. But since I was there, I then explored almost the whole city.

We went there by train from Bangkok. We took third class seats costing me 15 baht (50 cents) each. Do not take the air-conditioned second class as the cost is ten to twelve times as much.

Third class is good enough; the travel time is only two hours anyway. The city of Ayutthaya is just behind the river opposite to the train station. I refused the offer from tuk-tuk drivers in front of the station as they usually overcharge foreign tourists. So we crossed the street in front of the station and walked for less than five minutes to reach to a pier. We took a motorboat to cross the river for only 4 baht (less than 15 cents). This saved me time quite a lot. If I had gone on foot I would have to walk far enough to find a bridge. At the other end, I hired a taxi (not a tuk-tuk) at a price of THB 450 for 3 hours. But this was a result of a rather long bargaining giving me significant discounted fare. I think the fare is good enough as we were three persons traveling together.

This is the city of ruined temples, only a few of them can still be enjoyed mainly due to the original form which is well maintained. Wat Mahathat (admission fee 50 baht) has a distinctive point as there is a Buddha head appearing from a large tree in the east section, but the rest 95% of the area does not worth to see. Wat Ratchaburana (50 baht) is under renovation, almost nothing you can see ...

• Trip to Ayutthaya, Thailand
      here. Avoid this place. Wat Phramongkon Bophit (free admission) seems to be new, still in use for worship. Good architecture but small. To me this is a very ordinary temple that you can find almost everywhere in Thailand. Wat Si Sanphet (50 baht) is a large temple, also a ruin but the original form is still there and I enjoyed it. Wat Phra Ram, I did not enter to the premise as I could see very clearly from outside the fence. It seems another poor maintained ruin, not recommended to enter. Wat Lokaya Suttharam (free admission), if you have visited Wat Po in Bangkok then you may be very disappointed, it is much better not
      to come here (even if you have not visited Wat Po). Wat Chai Watthanaram (50 baht) is still in fair condition, although it is less good than Wat Si Sanphet, but it is good to visit for less than 15 minutes.

My conclusion, you may visit Ayutthaya only if you do not know what else to do during your stay in Bangkok. You are overcharged to see only ruins as many similar (but better) places in Chiang Mai are free of charge. Should you are interested in such a place, spend no more than half of an hour in each place as there are many more ruins (those I did not visit) to fit your full day course in this city.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3811091638151230/k2311a0911/9.11.14