Titanfall: Pushing the FPS Genre  » Games  »
  • Typically with games such as Halo and Call of Duty all I play is the multiplayer mostly because I know the storyline already
  • It pushes the boundary of what a FPS game could be and where I believe where they will be in the future
  • Unfortunately it doesn’t and will never be considered one of the greats

• by Dale Trombley

Titanfall, one of the few games released day one for Xbox One, was the game I most anticipated due to the cutting edge technology and pushing what a FPS for consoles can do. The game boasts 60+ awards from the prestigious E3 conference and in this reviewer’s humble opinion is worthy of those awards. The game does online FPS, First Person Shooter, right.

Balance, tight controls, and ease of use are keys to a FPS game becoming successful. Titanfall pits two factions against each other. You have the IMC, the overarching imperialistic government that is bent on controlling the outer planets, and the

Militia, whose sole goal is to thwart the IMC’s rule. The plot kind of reminds me of a show that starred on Fox that was canceled after one season. What makes Titanfall unique is the balance between the giant mech suits that every player can drop and operate, after building up a bar by scoring hits on other players, and the pilots that the player controls.

During any given match you have pilots running around either on the ground, the walls, the roofs or any combination of those shooting each other and trying to take down the titans and titans lumbering around shooting, squashing and punching pilots and trying to shoot other titans. Not only that but there are 3 different titans that can be fully customized with weapons, abilities and decals. Not to mention there are about 12 different guns for the pilots. With all of those variables the game is incredibly balanced. None of the guns seem really overpowered with every one having a specific purpose and a counter. Plus even the interaction between titan and pilot seems well balanced. How you balance a huge war mech with a puny human is beyond me but they did it very well.

The one knock ...

• Titanfall: Pushing the FPS Genre
      I have against Titanfall is the lack of campaign and single player. They released the game with multiplayer only. Typically with games such as Halo and Call of Duty all I play is the multiplayer mostly because I know the storyline already. Why would this be different for Titanfall? Well, mostly because I was really interested in where the story was going. It very much reminded me of that TV show, which is one of my favorites, and I really wanted to explore the story and the universe that Titanfall takes place.

Overall Titanfall is a fantastic game that any true FPS fan

should go out and buy. It pushes the boundary of what a FPS game could be and where I believe where they will be in the future. Titanfall is a pioneer in its genre. The only reason the game isn’t going to be the game of the console is because of the lack of a story line. Titanfall would be in league with Mass Effect, Halo, Call of Duty if it had a story. Unfortunately it doesn’t and will never be considered one of the greats. Still if you own a Xbox One it is a fantastic game and one well worth owning.

Matthew says :

re : Typically with games such as Halo and Call of Duty all I play is the multiplayer mostly because I know the storyline already
I Do The Same with Games Like This because Most of the Time the Story Lines are all the Same

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 284091637910930/k2311a094/9.4.14