ZzzQuil Liquicaps: Nighttime Sleep-Aid  » Medicine  »
  • A box of 12 liquicaps will cost you about $5 at Walgreens, but it comes in packs of 24 and 48
  • Unfortunately for me it takes a minimum of an hour for these pills to kick in, but when they do the wait is worth it
  • The best guarantee is that I’ll get in my required hours of beauty rest if I take this sleep-aid
  • All in all, I’m impressed by this product

• by Syn Lee

Whether it’s due to work, stress, or just a pesky bout of insomnia, sometimes it’s hard for all of us to get in a good night’s sleep. When counting sheep doesn’t work, sometimes I just need a quick sleep fix so I can make that alarm and be alert and ready for the next day. I discovered ZzzQuil liquicaps a few years ago at a time when my insomnia was at its worst. I still use these attractive little purple liquicaps today whenever I occasionally need them. It’s not a side effect-free, perfect sleep solution in a pill, but it’s still a great sleep-aid option.

I wasn’t looking for

unnatural sleep-aids, but what attracted me to ZzzQuil was the medical claim that its main ingredient Diphenhydramine HCl is non-habit forming. Diphenhydramine HCl is the same antihistamine compound in a lot of cold medicines that block the effects of histamine to make you fall asleep faster. ZzzQuil liquicaps are an over-the-counter sleep-aid and can be found at most pharmacies in the US. A box of 12 liquicaps will cost you about $5 at Walgreens, but it comes in packs of 24 and 48. An adult serving size is 2 liquicaps. I mentioned already that I’m in love with the deep purple color of these pills. There’s something attractive and lulling about the color, which I guess is the point.

9 times out of 10 I’ll fall asleep like a baby on the pills, even if the TV is on and loud. Unfortunately for me it takes a minimum of an hour for these pills to kick in, but when they do the wait is worth it. I have on some occasions experienced light dizziness once the pills really start working, but that just drives me into bed sooner which doesn’t bother me. I usually have trouble falling back asleep at night if I have to get up to use the bathroom, but with ZzzQuil liquicaps I can ...

• ZzzQuil Liquicaps: Nighttime Sleep-Aid
      get up, use the bathroom and fall back asleep like a baby within minutes. I absolutely love that.

The pills are easy on the stomach once I first take them at night, but I do sometimes wake up a bit bloated the next day. The liquicaps contain a sorbitol solution, so if you’re sensitive to sugar alcohols like I am, just be aware. At times I’ve woken up a little constipated after taking the liquicaps the night before, but that usually wears off in the day. This is not unique to Zzzquil, as many antihistamines tend to dry out the body a bit and lead to light constipation.

out of 10 times I’ll wake up with lingering grogginess after taking the pills the night before, so it’s not always a guarantee of waking up fresh and alert for the next day. The best guarantee is that I’ll get in my required hours of beauty rest if I take this sleep-aid. All in all, I’m impressed by this product. The side effects aren’t severe enough to stop me from taking the pills when I need them.

Pros:

Non-habit forming.

Works very well.

Generally easy on the stomach.

Inexpensive.

Cons:

May result in groggy feeling in the morning.

Sometimes causes dizziness.

Takes a minimum of an hour to start working.

May cause stomach upset or light constipation in some.

john says :

I personally do not use zzzquil .my wife on the other hand uses it every night and it helps her alot . Stop her from tossing and turning and no more waking up in the middle of the night

Galega says :

But, do remember to use it only on the advise of a doctor. You should also discuss comprehensively about the time span for which your wife is supposed to take this medicine.

You may wan to research and consult some meditation guru to come out of the problem your wife has. It is always better to find a solution which doesn’t require taking harmful chemicals in the form of medicines.

marina says :

re : All in all, I’m impressed by this product
Zzz quil can work wonders… it has the same ingredient as bentryl and other over the counter sleep aids.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2626081637660431/k2311a0826/8.26.14