NuGo Free’s Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Trail Mix Bar  » Food  »
  • I’m one of those people, so I’m always examining the labels on fitness bars, supplements and shakes in my quest to eat right but avoid those pesky allergens
  • At only 190 calories, I like that NuGo Free’s Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Trail Mix bar is balanced nutritionally with only 5g of fat and only 9% of your daily carbohydrate needs
  • All in all, I think if you’re looking for a gluten-free bar with a decent amount of protein that’s healthy and not overly sweet, NuGo Free’s Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Trail Mix bar is a good choice

• by Syn Lee

Anyone with a lot of food sensitivities who’s trying to stay fit knows how difficult it can be trying to find protein bars or shakes that do not contain gluten, diary or soy as one of their main ingredients. I’m one of those people, so I’m always examining the labels on fitness bars, supplements and shakes in my quest to eat right but avoid those pesky allergens. I discovered NuGo Free’s Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Trail Mix bar a few years ago but had for the most

part avoided trying it because the label warned of possible dairy and soy cross-contamination due to being processed on the same equipment as products containing those allergens.

But years later, in my desperation to find a healthy bar that didn’t taste like cardboard or sandpaper, I caved to trying it out. I’m glad I caved!

I like the taste of the bar.

It’s something I actually look forward to eating after a workout or on the go. Chunks of walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds and dried fruit sit on top of a thick coating of dark chocolate.

I’m not in love with the slightly processed taste of the dark chocolate, but I can live with it because the dried cranberries add a tart pop of sweetness to the bar while the chocolate takes care of that sinful cocoa craving in all of us. At only 190 calories, I like that NuGo Free’s Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Trail Mix bar is balanced nutritionally with only 5g of fat and only 9% of your daily carbohydrate needs.

...

• NuGo Free's Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Trail Mix Bar
      Agave sugar and cane syrup help make up the 12g of sugar in the bar. I wish it had more than 9g of protein, but it’s enough to tide me over until a main meal, or it’s satiating enough for when I need to hit the road on some errands.

Vegans will appreciate that all the protein comes from natural, non-animal sources.

I’m not entirely convinced there’s zero dairy cross-contamination with the bars due to one or two stuffy noses after having the bars.

But it’s

hard to know for sure. If your sensitivities only act up when the allergen is a main ingredient, you should be okay.

Always use your judgement when selecting foods if you have intolerances or allergies. I’ve never had any gluten-related reactions to this bar, so it has become my go-to gluten-free bar of choice.

All in all, I think if you’re looking for a gluten-free bar with a decent amount of protein that’s healthy and not overly sweet, NuGo Free’s Gluten-Free Dark Chocolate Trail Mix bar is a good choice.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2719081637411231/k2311a0819/8.19.14