The Possession (horror movie)
2.5
  • I love supernatural horror movies, but for some reason I can’t seem to get enough of them
  • I didn’t think it was frightening like some I’ve seen, but I thought that it had a rather realistic effect to it
  • You might not like this movie, if supernatural horror movies are your cup of tea and I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re looking for something that will genuinely frighten you

by Redtape

I love supernatural horror movies, but for some reason I can’t seem to get enough of them. The slasher movies and those horror movies that have a lot more gore in them seem to be what’s popular now. Those few with a religious or supernatural theme that I love so much are generally either hard to find, bordering on cliché or just plain ridiculous. The movie “The Possession” showed a lot of potential and I genuinely thought that I would enjoy it. It turns out that while it wasn’t terrible, it was just “okay” especially judging from the fact that many of the concepts weren’t very original or done in a very creative way.
  • The Possession (movie)
  • The entire movie is centred around a “dybbuk”, which I believe is one of the few distinctly original things about it since I haven’t seen many movies about that concept. In case you don’t know what that is, it’s actually a malevolent spirit from Jewish folklore that is known for possessing people. When the movie begins, an older woman attempts to destroy a dybbuk box but dies in the process. Later on, a little girl, Em who is passing by a garage sale is fascinated by the box and persuades her father to let her have it. The girl eventually becomes attached to the box and her personality begins to change. It is soon apparent that she has become possessed by the spirit.

• The Possession (movie)
  • One of the things that I can definitely say that I admired about this movie would be that a lot of the effects and makeup were very minimal. I believe that it worked for the movie and the realistic style that the director was trying to portray since it made everything seem more authentic and in a sense true to life. I believe that were there a little more effects and makeup, the entire movie would have been almost comical. For example, I liked the makeup that was done for the young actress who played Em, which made her look possessed. I didn’t think it was frightening like some I’ve seen, but I thought that it had a rather realistic effect to it.

• The Possession (movie)
  • I’ve always liked the actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan especially when he appeared in movies such as Watchmen and The Losers, and even when he appeared in the television series Supernatural as John Winchester. I’ve always thought that he had a great amount of talent which was always evident in the emotion that he conveyed in every role I’ve seen him in. However, I don’t think he did as well in this one as Clyde, the father. His acting was “okay” at most, and he didn’t seem like he was completely immersed in the role. I think one good example of this was when Clyde went to meet the Rebbe Shapir and he became emotional while he was being told about the dybbuk who possessed his daughter. It was not very convincing for some reason.

• The Possession (movie)
  • I didn’t really think that the movie accomplished managing to scare me. Nevertheless, I thought that the most frightening scene in the entire movie would have to be the part where the possessed Em wanders into the hospital morgue and Clyde begins to look for her. For one, I think that any morgue is a frightening place; but having a possessed girl wander into the said place makes it twice as terrifying. When Clyde finds her, she keeps saying “Daddy, you scared me”.

• The Possession (movie)
  • I didn’t really like the ending either. What happened was that the Rabbi ended up trying to hide the box so that no one else could find it, but ended up getting into a most likely fatal car wreck. I thought that it ended a bit predictably, where I the viewer obviously knew that the dybbuk box would be found in the end so there might just be a part two to the movie.

You might not like this movie, if supernatural horror movies are your cup of tea and I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re looking for something that will genuinely frighten you. However, there are some people who actually liked it, so it might be in your best interest to watch it for yourself.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1118081637371231/k2311a0818/8.18.14