Blue Jasmine: A Movie  » Movies  »
  • I can’t claim to be a huge Cate Blanchet fan, but I do have to admit that I enjoyed her performance in this particular movie
  • I am not necessarily a Woody Allen fan, and so I had to admit that I was impressed with the movie and his directing skills

• by Jennifer Davis

A few nights ago, my husband and I were watching television when he stumbled across Blue Jasmine on HBO. I had never seen it before, but he had seen it and thought that I would like it. I can’t claim to be a huge Cate Blanchet fan, but I do have to admit that I enjoyed her performance in this particular movie.

Without revealing too much of the plot, Blue Jasmine is the story of a formally wealthy socialite (Blanchet) who loses all her money and friends after her husband’s scandalous business dealings collapse. After losing everything including her son who is

forced to drop out of Harvard due to embarrassment, Jasmine must turn to her estranged sister Ginger (played by the lovely Sally Hawkins). Jasmine and Ginger are estranged and although Ginger agrees to take her in and support her, Jasmine still judges her and criticizes her for her “common” ways.

I have to admit that my husband was right and I did enjoy the movie. I was however surprised to learn that the movie was Directed by Woody Allen. I am not necessarily a Woody Allen fan, and so I had to admit that I was impressed with the movie and his directing skills. That said, Cate Blanchet was phenomenal in her portrayal as Jasmine. I felt that she perfectly captured the characters bitterness, self-loathing, and eventual acceptance and love of self.

Sally Hawkins was excellent as well. Her portrayal of the strong and steady Ginger was perfect in contrast to the emotionally tender and vulnerable Jasmine. I was also extremely impressed that Sally Hawkins’ accent was nowhere in the film. Her ability to cover it was astounding and speaks well toward her abilities as an actress.

That said, there were points where this movie was slow moving. Part of the script called for ...

• Blue Jasmine: A Movie
      frequent flashbacks to Jasmine’s life as a socialite and there were times that the past and the present in the movie seemed to collide with no sense of direction. If you don’t watch the whole thing, trying to jump into the movie in the middle will just leave you confused.

That being said, there are some extremely funny parts, particularly in Jasmine’s monologue in relation to adjusting from her prim and proper life that was fake to the honest and open life of Ginger and her children. Her adjustment to people who are open and unwilling to be subject to her

criticisms often had me laughing. There were times that I enjoyed seeing Jasmine being put back into her place and forced to realize that she was not as knowledgeable or as wise as she thought herself to be.

Personally, I liked it, but I don’t think that it would be for everyone because it is dramatic and slow moving despite the fact it is a comedy. Overall, I give the movie an 8. I took two points off for the confusing in past and present scenes as well as the slow moving parts that really didn’t seem to have a point in the movie.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1112081637100731/k2311a0812/8.12.14