Graphic Novel: Odd is On Our Side created by Dean Koontz

by Ossiriand10

Written by Fred Van Lente & Dean Koontz Illustrations by Queenie Chan

• Graphic Novel: Odd is On Our Side created by Dean Koontz
  • I thoroughly enjoyed reading this graphic novel after picking it up at the book thrift shop. I’m not too familiar with Odd Thomas book series saved only for the first book, my friend recommended, which I didn’t get to finish reading. So when the movie came out based off the novel of the same title, I had to watch it. This was pretty much how far my knowledge went.

• Graphic Novel: Odd is On Our Side created by Dean Koontz
  • Anyway, I was immediately drawn to Queenie Chan’s clear and energetic renderings of the characters. It’s not my usual habit to buy graphic novels however, after catching some brief exposure to Odd’s world, I decided to give this book a go and I wasn’t disappointed at all. For a newcomer, I was really apprehensive trying out the graphic novel after being used to comics because I kept thinking what if the panels were uninteresting? What happens if I didn’t feel some sort of rapport coming through the illustrations because I didn’t start off as a fan of the book series? I was very unsure if I really wanted to buy the graphic novel and took several times of flipping the pages to be convinced enough I wasn’t wasting money. As I read the graphic novel, I wasn’t too bothered by the manga-style either. Chan’s illustrations were relatable on paper which added for a good reading experience.

• Graphic Novel: Odd is On Our Side created by Dean Koontz
  • The addition of new characters in the book and the explanations were included at the end of the story. I was very happy to find about this. I don’t know if other graphic novels do it but by including the behind-the-scenes of the process in making story further sealed my satisfaction of my purchase.

• Graphic Novel: Odd is On Our Side created by Dean Koontz
  • Fred Van Lente’s adaptation into a collection of panels was pure excitement set in a good pace. He was able to capture and boil down bulky expositions visually, which translated well through Chan’s illustrations. The succinctness of the action panels carried the story’s momentum and even the back stories were pared down enough so not to interrupt the flow. I found myself at the edge of my seat eagerly flipping the pages. The dialogue was concise and not-on-the-nose something like Odd and Stormy’s conversation. There was an ATV high-speed chase and it naturally ended their discussion but when it was a slow scene in the following panel, I wasn’t expecting Odd to continue the train of thought from their earlier conversation but he did. More or less than an hour later, he easily picked up where they left off without a break in both of their thoughts. I think that was a nice clue into their relationship. They been through together enough to know how the mind of another works. For me, I thought that was funny and cute. The humor was injected sprinkled throughout the story which I liked because it gave the reader a breather on what was going to happen in the following pages.

• Graphic Novel: Odd is On Our Side created by Dean Koontz
  • I was especially touched by the subplot which made me teary-eyed afterwards. I liked how it also tied back to the main story thus, wrapping the loose end.

Overall, this graphic novel is a good companion for fans of Odd Thomas and a great first introduction to newbies. After reading this, I can’t wait to find the rest of the titles and if I see another Odd Thomas graphic novel or the graphic novel from Queenie Chan, I’ll be buying that.

ossiriand10 adds :

re : I thoroughly enjoyed reading this graphic novel after picking it up at the book thrift shop
Queenie Chan’s work on this project was great. For me as a reader, I didn’t have an issue of over-shading or there were other unnecessary pen strokes which could easily detract my attention while reading the book. I thought the renderings of the characters were firm and distinct because she was able to provide a different countenance even just using black and white style. The renderings weren’t fuzzy or generic.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 174081636620431/k2311a084/8.4.14