Pet-A-Groom Dog Grooming Services in Ramsey, NJ  » Pets  »
2.0
25 N Spruce St. Ramsey, NJ 07446
  • She is always around other dogs and never had a problem
  • The only issue I had in the past was whatever they were putting on her skin made her itch incessantly
  • I told them not to do that because that would definitely be what was causing her irritation
  • I thought a good dog groomer would have figured that out but they didn't even think of it
  • If you're interested in their services their number is 202-818-2554 but I don't really recommend them

• by Crystal

I have an extremely well mannered, good natured Golden Retriever who wouldn’t harm a fly. She absolutely adores other dogs and has never been aggressive in any manner with them. She is always around other dogs and never had a problem. People take to her as soon as they see her. Let’s just say that the last time I took her to pet-a-groom; the groomer asked if she had aggression problems with other dogs because she would growl as soon as they walked other dogs past her cage. That right there was a tell tale sign I HAD to switch groomers.

I had taken her to Pet-A-Groom a handful of times and the first few visits went fine. They groomed her the way I had requested and the groomers had nothing bad to say or really no comments at all. Her nails were done nicely, she smelled fresh and her hair cut looked very smooth.

The only issue I had in the past was whatever they were putting on her skin made her itch incessantly.

I inquired about that and they said all their shampoos were hypoallergenic. I told them that she was itching a lot after her appointments and they had nothing to say about it. I actually had to ask them if they spray anything on them after their grooming and they said yes. I told them not to do that because that would definitely be what was causing her irritation. I thought a good dog groomer would have figured that out but they didn’t even think of it. That was definitely the problem and she was fine when they didn’t put the perfume on. They did abide by that request and if that was the worst of it then it would have been no trouble at all. I thought everything would be okay until her last appointment.

I don’t know if they got new groomers that weren’t trained that well or if the staff there just stopped caring but the last time she got groomed I had never seen such a terrible job. We wanted a summer cut for her and it’s not that hard to make a Golden look good with a summer cut. They basically made her look like a poodle afterwards. I had to fix her cut. I know nothing about dog grooming but I really made it look good.

What they did was buzz cut her body and then just stop at the top of the tail and the top of the head. They didn’t blend the short part with the long part and it looked like a huge ditch from the longer part to the shorter part. My husband and I were so upset that we started realizing more issues.

As I stated before, the staff asked my husband if she was aggressive towards other dogs when he went to pick her up. We were shocked. I seriously think they didn’t treat her all that welcoming and that caused her to be upset. OR they don’t know how to read personalities properly and took a playful growl as a sign of aggression. I do know that she has a loud growl ...

• Pet-A-Groom Dog Grooming Services in Ramsey, NJ
      when she wants to play with other dogs but it’s clearly a playful growl. If they couldn’t tell the difference that would concern me.

We also had never seen her so ecstatic to be home. Usually she’s not too pleased to go to the groomer but she grins an bares it. This time she was actually trying to run away from the building and once she got home she was the happiest dog on earth; more so than usual which says a lot. We could tell something just wasn’t right there.

We haven’t brought her back since and decided to try another pet place. The next place we tried was much more professional and equipped for the proper grooming. They were also much friendly and she took to them quite well. Pet-A-Groom was not very friendly the more that we thought about it. The groomers strictly looked at it as a business transaction without taking pride in or enjoying their work. I believe that a groomer should love the dogs they are grooming; especially if they are as friendly

as our golden girl.

As far as pricing they are definitely reasonable but I am willing to pay more for better quality and care. Our Golden is a big girl, 95 pounds to be exact and tall. It cost 75 dollars for a full groom which was the cheapest we could find in our area. It just wasn’t worth it though in the long run. The last grooming they also didn’t do her nails as requested but still charged the full price. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe there was a new groomer but every instinct told me and my husband not to go back there. They also are a cash only establishment.

If you’re interested in their services their number is 202-818-2554 but I don’t really recommend them. Also, it’s important to know that they do not have a flexible schedule. They have two drop off times each day and two pick up times. If your schedules don’t coincide then your dog will be sitting in a crate for much longer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 294081636430431/k2311a084/8.4.14