You Deserve This House, TV program
  • I like listening to the simple how-to rules
  • So since I don’t have basic carpentry under my belt, I paid attention on how they dress or put the finishing touches such as what drapes to get for a small room or what color of paint to use if face a bold color scheme and et cetera
  • I believe I can handle those touch ups without any problems
  • I would recommend this for anyone looking for a home decorating show without any cat fights included

by Ossiriand10

A one-hour show presented by Ms. Amanda Lamb was a great change from other various reality shows dominating the TV landscape today.

• You Deserve This House, TV program
  • What I liked about the show was its format. It was pretty straightforward. There were no contentious flare-ups and me-against-the-world drama between participants that seemed customary in almost all reality shows, which my nerves usually cannot process especially having long days at the office and when that happens, I’m usually itching to watch something light on TV if the movie-of-the-week doesn’t entice me at all.

Here, the program spotlight individuals (the nominated community hero for the week) around Great Britain, who had done selfless acts of volunteerism through their respective town charities, agencies or foundations at the expense of not focusing a portion of their personal time to fixing their homes over the years.

As a way of showing gratitude for the lives they’ve touched, Lamb and her team of professionals, together with the people who had received countless assistance from the nominated community hero stepped in to spruce the home of the selected community worker.

• You Deserve This House, TV program
  • At the start of the show, the nominee accompanied by either a close friend or a sibling or a significant other will be whisk away for a 2-day spa experience while Lamb’s team of professionals and the volunteers start the makeover transformation of the interiors. The team will tackle three sections of house: the living room, bedroom or they’ll choose the conservatory or the home office, or bathroom and lastly, the kitchen. I can’t help chuckle hearing little shrieks of astonishment filtering through the doorway as Amanda gives time for the nominee to pack an overnight bag.

• You Deserve This House, TV program
  • I don’t know why I’m fascinated by the makeover process but I always liked hearing the tips the professionals share in between the moments while they either cut a cupboard door to size, put together a new set of shelves or paint the wall. I guess subconsciously I’m working on ways to bring back a new lease of years to my home too.

I like listening to the simple how-to rules. I liked very much the professional would add explanations such as why a wood needs undercoating first before giving it another coat and a certain way to paint wood. There have been moments, I wished I had some basic carpentry as a high school subject only; it was a simple lamp woodcarving subject which I’ve already forgotten. So since I don’t have basic carpentry under my belt, I paid attention on how they dress or put the finishing touches such as what drapes to get for a small room or what color of paint to use if face a bold color scheme and et cetera. It can be a tricky decision unless I wanted to turn our living room into an artist’s color palette in the next few months; I have to think things through first. It was a great and inexpensive tip, seeing how a simple varnish and some sandpaper can put new life to a worn-out cupboard, chair or table. I believe I can handle those touch ups without any problems.

• You Deserve This House, TV program
  • The show was very positive. The mini-interviews of the volunteers gave a glimpse of their situation and how the community worker nominee had given them aid when they needed it at that time. Listening to their stories gave me a boost and would always chase my deflated mood and I’m back to my cheery self once again. It’s so wonderful to see acts of selflessness touching lives and goodness coming around to the giver.

• You Deserve This House, TV program
  • I always get a thrill seeing the before and after shots of the interiors because you can finally understand the designer’s vision when he put together the colors and sometimes why using a single color accent creates cohesion when you have a dining room and a living room in one look-through space (showed in another episode).

When the show reaches its end, the nominated community worker arrives to her/his spruced up home. Meeting the people again they’ve lent a hand after years have passed between them was very emotional and I can’t help shedding a tear sometimes too. I had to grin every time the nominated worker expressed his or her elation and surprise because it does warm my heart witnessing genuine care from everyone and deep gratitude from the volunteers.

I liked this program because it always closes the show with positive vibes. I would always find myself smiling and hopeful after watching each episode. There are just few shows doing that these days. I practically feel my stress level has gone down and getting to face work the following day.

I would recommend this for anyone looking for a home decorating show without any cat fights included.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 101081636300431/k2311a081/8.1.14