Accuquilt Go! Baby die cut machine for crafting, sewing and quilting
2.5
  • I am not sure exactly what it was that I thought I was going to do with this little machine
  • So for Christmas that year I received a machine I couldn't use until I bought accessories
  • I am disappointed that if I were to purchase a full alphabet die set it would run over $200.00 because I would love to use it to customize my creations with names
  • There are all sorts of cutters out there, some are computerized, some hook to the computer, some allow you to download designs for a very small cost

• by Shannon

Last Christmas I hinted, maybe not so subtly, to my love that I would like an accuquilt go! baby die cut machine. I am a seamstress by trade and I really enjoy quilting at home. I am not sure exactly what it was that I thought I was going to do with this little machine. I am not sure what I expected, but it isn’t what i got.

Now, to be fair, I should have done my research before asking for this device. It does everything it claims to do and it works perfectly in the manner it describes. It is small, only 8.5 lbs and easy as pie to carry around. It stores just fine in one of those little cubby type shelving units you can buy at Target.. It is durable. I have brought it to and fro. It folds up small and the two ends that fold in become handles. It is white plastic and operates in a manner similar to a pasta roller.

It is also expensive. The cutter itself runs about $100.00 depending on where you purchase it. This is the smallest and least expensive in the accu quilt family. My Love bought it online. At that price it comes with nothing. Just

the machine. So for Christmas that year I received a machine I couldn’t use until I bought accessories. It is like getting the toy you super wanted with no batteries. So be aware, if you plan to purchase this for yourself or as a gift, you need to read what it comes with. There are starter kits out there that come with the dies and the mats needed to actually, you know, cut something.

Next, the dies. There are 43 dies that are compatible with this machine. You need to buy the actual accuquilt brand die. It is not compatible with any other brand that I am aware of. I have googled it. I have tried it, It doesn’t work. There is a pretty wide range of dies, but they are not inexpensive. The least expensive is around $20. It needs to be used with a cutting mat. Those are also sold separately. You need various sizes if you want to use some of the longer dies too.. In other words, this is an investment. Also, though the machine itself doesn’t take up much space as you start to add to your collection the space required grows as well.

I personally have a few dies.. A flower which I am very partial to. A dove. Hearts (it comes with three size hearts on the same die. I use it to make shamrocks with.) and also squares and half squares. The squares, for me, are useless and again this is my mistake. Why did I buy squares? At the time it was So I could cut perfect squares for a patchwork quilt, of course. It made sense at the time. However, I can cut much quicker and much more efficiently with a tremendous amount less waste of fabric with a rotary cutter like I always have. Always have for you know, decades. I don’t have any idea what I thought I was going to improve upon in that regard. With the dies you have to pre- cut fabric so it fits in the machine, then there are the scraps on the sides of the squares. It was a moment of new toy frenzy or something for me. I should have known better. I will blame the very convincing advertising a bit thought, they really made me think that it would be faster and easier and better and less wasteful with these dies! With all these shapes! I had to have them!

• Accuquilt Go! Baby die cut machine for crafting, sewing and quilting

You don’t need the squares. If you can cut with a rotary cutter you can cut basic shapes. I promise. Now, circles, that would be a different story.

I do use the flower pretty often. I have used the dove now and again and as I said I use the hearts to make the petals of shamrocks. So it does get use. Not as much as I anticipated, but it gets used. I will admit, I use it mainly out of a sense of guilt. It was a gift. I want to want it. I want to love it. But I don’t. I feel luke warm about it actually.

I have used this machine to cut fabric, paper, leather and plastic with success. The dies are sharp, but safely encased in a foam so they are only sharp when pushed through the machine.

I am disappointed that if I were to purchase a full alphabet die set it would run over $200.00 because I would love to use it to customize my creations with names. It is also difficult to find the dies locally. They are carried at some of the Joann fabric stores but the selection is small. I have ordered all but one die

online. When purchasing a die you need to be absolutely sure it is compatible with the type of accu quilt cutter you have. The smaller the cutter the fewer of the dies that are offered by the company that will work with that machine.

Bottom line, the machine works as it says it should. The dies are what they appear to be. It is not difficult. It is a small, light, portable manual machine. No plugs, cords or computers needed. My children can use it.

Did I NEED this piece of equipment? No. And I wouldn’t buy it again either. Not due to any flaw in the cutter, but due to lack of usefulness and versitility. If I could do it over I would have researched the entire die cut subject much better. There are all sorts of cutters out there, some are computerized, some hook to the computer, some allow you to download designs for a very small cost. In other words there are more versatile cutters out there that take up a small amount of space but also don’t require a full set of accessories to actually cut anything.

So there you are. I give this little device an Eh. You know, an eh with a shoulder shrug.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5331071636200331/k2311a0731/7.31.14