Gardman Netting Grow Tunnel  » Housewares  »
  • When I used to live in a house with my parents we often came across a frequent problem of rabbits and squirrels eating our greenery such as lettuce and vegetables
  • I know it is an extra cost but I highly recommend getting extra ground staples for the netting

• by Crystal

When I used to live in a house with my parents we often came across a frequent problem of rabbits and squirrels eating our greenery such as lettuce and vegetables. I wish I knew about these nets back then because it would have saved us a lot of heart ache and wasted produce. Recently I started planting vegetables again at my Grandmother’s house and invested in one of these. It has been a lifesaver thus far.

For starters, the main reason I got it was to protect from scavenging animals and it has held up very well

for that purpose. It is about 9-10 feet long and covers a long area of roughage crops. I planted a few heads of lettuce and carrots which majorly attracts the animals of nature and they have not been able to get to it. Just to be clear, I have actually SEEN a rabbit trying to figure out how to get to it and even swat at the net. It didn’t budge and the rabbit eventually gave up.

I suppose if they dug and dug they might be able to figure out how to get to the plants but honestly it’s so well constructed that they would sooner tire themselves out than make a dent in the netting.

What keeps it secure is the metal frame that it secured by ground pegs. I know it is an extra cost but I highly recommend getting extra ground staples for the netting. We had some problems setting it up because the netting was sort of slipping but once we secured it it worked quite well. We wound up buying ground staples made by another brand and they worked very good. If you punch ...

• Gardman Netting Grow Tunnel
      a hole in the netting with the staples it will still hold up and not rip through more.

The sides are easy enough for a person to lift up to check on or tend to the vegetation but the animals don’t seem to have the flexibility to get to them. They also make these tunnels with a fleece netting to protect from frosts but this has minimal lining and I don’t really need the frost protection.

One thing I wish it would do is find a way to protect against the gnats and little white bugs that bother vegetable plants.

Obviously we need to use pesticides to get rid of those bugs and they are so small that it would be nearly impossible to keep them out with a tunnel. But as long as it keeps the vegetation eating larger animals out then that is all I need it for.

You can’t use this particular model on taller plants such as tomatoes because the ground clearance is only around a foot but they make other contraptions for the vertical plants. I got mine for 25 USD from amazon but they sell them at a bunch of different places.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5330071636150231/k2311a0730/7.30.14