Black Egg Slicer from Bed Bath and Beyond  » Housewares  »
2.7
  • Little did I know that there is actually a variety of egg slicers and they are not all the same quality
  • The slicers are definitely sharp enough to cut the egg, but the problem is that it doesn't slice the entire egg
  • So I bought a brand knew batch and tried the same thing
  • Upon further investigation I noticed something I couldn't believe that I didn't see earlier
  • It's only 3.99 USD from Bed Bath and Beyond so you're not breaking the bank with it but there are definitely much better ones on the market

• by Crystal

I came across this egg slicer not too long ago at my local Bed Bath and Beyond and thought it looked cute and would help in slicing eggs. I never owned an egg slicer before but have used other people’s slicers when I am in need. I always had great results with the others I used and thought this would work the same. Little did I know that there is actually a variety of egg slicers and they are not all the same quality.

I made up some hard boiled eggs over the past few weeks and had the same mediocre results each time I used

it. The slicers are definitely sharp enough to cut the egg, but the problem is that it doesn’t slice the entire egg. I tried several times and several eggs thinking maybe I was doing it wrong but I got the same partially cut eggs each time.

Then I figured maybe I had a bad batch of eggs. Anyone who has made hard boiled eggs knows that they do not all come out the same. So I bought a brand knew batch and tried the same thing. The same results happened. Upon further investigation I noticed something I couldn’t believe that I didn’t see earlier. The plate part that holds the eggs was too round. It basically wasn’t covering the entire egg area. It was mushing the ends of the eggs because it was too small and didn’t bevel out enough to encompass the entire egg.

There was really no way around this quirk because if you tried to cut the egg first and do a half an egg at a time, it wouldn’t cut the slices well. You really need to cut it in one fell swoop otherwise if you cut the egg in sections and then try to cut it in the slicer ...

• Black Egg Slicer from Bed Bath and Beyond
      it would again mush it more than slice it. At that point, cutting the egg and then slicing it is more trouble than what it’s worth and defeats the purpose of an egg slicer. I did notice however that if I bought the really small eggs, it would slice those with less problems. Just don’t get the jumbo or large eggs.

As far as cleaning it goes, it can be a little tricky because you really have to get in the nooks and crannies. If you clean it right away then you shouldn’t have too much of a problem but if you wait at all

and any of the egg dries on it then you will have a really hard time getting it pristine clean. I find that true with most egg slicers but I also have found other egg slicers to clean a little better than this one.

All in all, it doesn’t do the greatest job but if you only need a few slices of a large egg than it should be fine. If you buy the small eggs than it will get the job done. It’s only 3.99 USD from Bed Bath and Beyond so you’re not breaking the bank with it but there are definitely much better ones on the market.

Harold says :

re : It’s only 3.99 USD from Bed Bath and Beyond so you’re not breaking the bank with it but there are definitely much better ones on the market
There is no available egg slicer like that in the Philippines. We are only using spoon or ladel to break the egg

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5330071636130231/k2311a0730/7.30.14