Chlorhexidine 4% Shampoo for Dogs, Cats and Horses
  • We first noticed that she had skin problems when I was petting her one day and saw that she had what looked like scabs on her skin
  • I immediately went to the pet store and bought the best medicated over the counter shampoo I could find but it didn’t completely get rid of it
  • It doesn’t have an overpowering medicinal smell like a lot of medicated washes do and my dog has no problem letting us wash her with it

• by Crystal

Chlorhexidine 4% Shampoo has to be hands down the absolute best shampoo I’ve ever used on my Golden Retriever. Just before she turned 5 she developed bad skin allergies, or at least that’s what the Vet figured it was. We had some tests run to make sure it wasn’t anything major and it wasn’t so the Vet concluded that she developed seasonal allergies. Apparently that’s quite common in dogs around the fall season but it needs to be treated or it can really bother the dog.

We first noticed that she had skin problems when I was petting her one day and saw that she had what looked like scabs on her skin. They were clumpy and scabby and when I

scratched them off they started bleeding. I immediately went to the pet store and bought the best medicated over the counter shampoo I could find but it didn’t completely get rid of it. My husband said he also noticed that she was scratching more because the spots were really itching her.

When we went to vet and had her diagnosed with skin allergies, they also said the3re was an infection in the scabs. They prescribed her an oral antibiotic as well as this shampoo. This shampoo has turned out to be a godsend for her skin. They told us to apply it once a week for as long as needed.

When we first started using it we applied it two

weeks in a row and noticed a significant difference in the scabbing. By then the antibiotics were done and we figured the rest would heal on its own. A few weeks later I took a look at her coat again and saw a minor version of the scabs she had previously. Apparently the shampoo was working but we just needed to continue it for longer. We once again gave her another bath with the shampoo. Then a few days later we checked her again. The spots were almost completely gone and her scratching had pretty much ceased for the most part. Of course she still gets itchy here and there but I look at it as she’s ...

• Chlorhexidine 4% Shampoo for Dogs, Cats and Horses
      a dog; they scratch. The good part is that it was nothing like she was previously doing.

The active ingredient in this shampoo is chlorhexidine gluconate which is an antiseptic and antimicrobial. The benefit of this ingredient is that it deep cleans and washes away/attacks and bacteria that may be hanging out in the skin follicles of the animal. Any type of infection or skin irritation usually has some form of bacteria that needs to be penetrated and cleaned away. This ingredient did such a fine job of removing the bacteria and excess flakiness that this is the only shampoo we will use now.

Our girl’s coat appears a lot softer and cleaner too. It doesn’t have an overpowering medicinal smell

like a lot of medicated washes do and my dog has no problem letting us wash her with it. The only trick is that you need to leave it on your pup for around 10 minutes in order for it to properly penetrate the skin. It you have an overactive dog it might be a little hard to do but you just have to find a way to distract them because it really is worth it in the long run.

We got ours from our local vet but I have seen it on amazon for around 25 USD for a 16 ounce bottle. You can see it’s pretty expensive but a little goes a long way and it is completely worth the price.

Pradiporeo says :

re : It doesn’t have an overpowering medicinal smell like a lot of medicated washes do and my dog has no problem letting us wash her with it
Our large, long haired German Shepherd had a nasty funky smell and felt greasy to the touch. I needed to wash my hands after petting him. He constantly chewed on his butt and scratched everywhere else. He really stunk worse after a bath and was getting pretty hard to take. After some research I found this shampoo. OMG After the first bath the ODOR WAS GONE It has also stayed away with biweekly baths. He is so soft and sweet smelling now that you can actually nap on him and he is joy to pet. Strangers at the park say he is the softest dog they have ever touched. He no longer scratches or chews anywhere Honestly, it has been a small miracle for this family. LIFE CHANGING really.

Stacey says :

That’s great that you found something that works. Nothing worse than your dog stinking, and you have to wash your hands after petting them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2930071636120231/k2311a0730/7.30.14