99designs.com
  • There were a number of frustrated designers who claimed that you find yourself churning out hundreds of designs before yours might even be considered, while other more mature designers claimed that it's exploitative to designers just starting out and it's not the best way to develop a name for yourself
  • I decided I was going to prove them all wrong and ended up having the same thing happen to me

• by Redtape

When a friend of mine suggested that I check out the website 99designs.com I was both excited and hopeful that I would finally be able to make money using my skills in Graphic Design. I figured that all I would need was enough time to get used to the site and enough drive and determination to continue even when I lost my first contests. After a while I felt so frustrated and cheated that I ended up just abandoning my account and the site altogether. It felt too much like gambling and the more I tried was the stronger I began to feel that it wasn’t worth it.

99designs is one of those websites that a lot of people refer to as “crowd-sourcing” sites. In other words,

you find yourself a part of a community that aggressively pushes individual ideas forward with the hope of winning something in return. With 99designs those ideas were either websites, logos, posters, brands or even labels. The client submits a design brief which you read to get an idea of what you’re supposed to do, what colours you can use and what the name of the company is. You the designer then have the opportunity to communicate with the client after which you can submit your design and wait to see if it will be eliminated or not. Once you win the contest, you’re eligible for a sum of money that the client advertised will be paid to the winner.

The thing about 99designs is that I read

articles from designers over and over who claimed that working for them wasn’t a good idea. There were a number of frustrated designers who claimed that you find yourself churning out hundreds of designs before yours might even be considered, while other more mature designers claimed that it’s exploitative to designers just starting out and it’s not the best way to develop a name for yourself. I decided I was going to prove them all wrong and ended up having the same thing happen to me.

Everyone from the best to the worst designer competes in these contests and so a lot of the times it’s hard having your work stand out among hundreds. Even when I thought my work was hands-down among the best in a ...

• 99designs.com
      contest that still did not guarantee that I would even reach the finals. What was worse was that I got the feeling some of the clients had already decided exactly whose they were going to pick from the start and it was as if anyone who entered after a time just did not have a chance.

What I absolutely hated were times when I worked really hard on a lot of designs for one contest and then I don’t hear hide nor hair from the client up to weeks later. I can understand that a person might be a little indecisive sometimes, but not finding it important enough to communicate with the designers that you haven’t just abandoned the contest is just plain disrespectful. It also makes

me wonder if some of the contest owners don’t just use the contest as an opportunity to get free ideas and designs and then run with them to someone else who can replicate it.

When freelancing on 99designs.com I figured that even if I don’t win a contest I would at least be able to save my work to add to my portfolio. I four out the hard way that wasn’t the case after entering dozens of private contests and later on finding out I was unable to see any of them.

Some people find this website addictive but I wouldn’t advise most people to try it since it wastes a lot of time and energy. There are no real benefits from using it, since it’s practically like gambling.

Inkwon Jung says :

I heard this site is pretty cool. I never used it before. But it is cool.

Fast Digital Technologies says :

99 Designs no doubt represents the best designers and developers from all around the World, but the only biggest drawback of the site is it does not let the freelancer work directly as individually for the employer. Happens what, whenever the project is posted so there are hundreds of and thousands of proposed submissions below the project in the forms of websites, logos and posters by the hundreds of freelancers. As a result of which competition starts among small to big scale freelancers, also with that sometimes the highest quality job is left behind, while sometimes the lowest quality job with a fewer number of favors is chosen among hundred of those, which is quite unfair.

99 Designs should better adapt the working style that of Upwork and Freelancer.com, who really pay a freelancer for his time and energy. It is not the way only for one project hundred freelancers put their 7 days of the week only for one project and after that, all of 99 got rejected and only 1 out of hundred is selected. What kind of merit is this?

All the reviewers and the reviewstream team please share your honest views that you agree or not agree with the given statement about 99 designs.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2023071635750231/k2311a0723/7.23.14