When Dads Don’t Grow Up Children’s Book  » Books  »
  • I think that statement pretty much nails it for those kinds of dads
  • One of my favorite things for my husband and son to do together is watch cartoons
  • This book is available in hardcover and I bought mine at Barnes and noble
  • I highly recommend this book to any dad out there who hasn't quite grown up yet

• by Crystal

The book “When Dads Don’t Grow Up” by author Marjorie Blain Parker is an outstanding children’s book for children to read with their fathers. I saw it advertised on the Barnes and Noble book shelf right around father’s day and after reading it in the store I knew I had to buy it. We made a gift for my husband from our 2 year old son for father’s day and they enjoy reading it together all the time. My son will bring the book over to daddy to read with him.

What struck my appeal was the title itself. My husband is

one of those dads that truly is a kid himself. When I read this book, it pretty much nailed his personality to the tee. If you have a dad in your life that still acts like a big kid then this is the book for you.

When Dad’s Don’t Grow Up covers every kind of “kiddish” dad you can think of. From the crazy shopping cart driver dads to the ones who pretend to be fancy when they’d rather be eating in the back of a truck with their kid. This book relates so well to all types of fathers. It adds the greatest type of humor you can imagine that even a toddler understands. What I really like is the truth in the humor. Everyone knows the rule not to play ball in the house, but somehow dads tend to ignore that rule with their kids sometimes. My husband has been known to throw a ball around inside with my son and as this book puts it: they even like to play indoor sports, that’s why they are so good at fixing things. I think that statement pretty much nails it for those kinds of dads.

When I see my husband ...

• When Dads Don't Grow Up Children's Book
      reading this book to my son I see a very special bond. They both laugh together because they relate so much to this book. One of my favorite things for my husband and son to do together is watch cartoons. My husband has always followed super hero cartoons and comics and now watches them with our son. In the book it speaks of dad’s who haven’t grown up still like to watch cartoons and read comics. So true in our case! It is also so funny how it says that clothes don’t have to match. I can recall
      a few occasions where my son has come downstairs from getting dressed with his father and sometimes his outfits are a but questionable. That makes it all the more fun though.

The illustrations in this book are adorable and the illustrator R.W. Alley did a very good job with their sketches. The cartoon type pictures are pretty detailed and my son relates well to them. He will point out “that’s Daddy and Me!”

This book is available in hardcover and I bought mine at Barnes and noble. I highly recommend this book to any dad out there who hasn’t quite “grown up” yet.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1723071635730231/k2311a0723/7.23.14