Rio 2: An Animated Movie Directed by Carlos Saldanha
  • I fell I love with the bright fun colors and the excellent animation while my kids fell in love with the story
  • In my opinion, the plot in Rio 2 was not as strong as the original so it needed to be funnier and wittier than the first one did
  • This movie is definitely witty and most of the humor and wit comes from these three characters
  • It had quite a bit of singing and although my kids enjoyed it, it was tough for my husband and I to get through
  • I recommend this to those who have children and who enjoyed the first Rio movie

• by Jennifer Davis

My kids and I loved Rio. I fell I love with the bright fun colors and the excellent animation while my kids fell in love with the story. When they saw that Rio 2 was coming out, they were so excited, but were really sad when my husband and I told them that they would have to wait for the movie to come out to Red Box rental.

However, we decided that they hadn’t been to see a movie in a while so we decided to take them to see Rio 2 when it came to theaters. Now, I do have to admit that before I went to see it, I did try and read some critic reviews so I knew what to expect. For the most part, they reviews were good, but

they did warn that for those above about 12 years old, the movie would be a little sing-songy.

For the most part, Rio 2 was very similar to the first one. I won’t give away too much of the plot for those who haven’t seen it, but it is about Blu (voiced by Jesse Eisenberg), a rare blue Macaw, that moves to the Amazon jungle with his wife Jewel (voiced by Anna Hathaway) and their three children. This movie also features the voice talents of George Lopez (Raphael), Jamie Foxx (Nico), Will.i.am (Pedro) recurring their original roles from the first movie.

Overall, I have to say that although the target audience was for children, I did enjoy this movie as well. I felt that Anne Hathaway and Jessie Eisenberg had great chemistry as

Blu and Jewel. Their chemistry came through their voices and I felt like it added a dimension of increased fun and feeling that would not have been there otherwise.

Jamie Foxx, Will.i.am, and George Lopez were all sensational as their characters of the city birds and the Toucan.When I saw the first movie, I absolutely fell in love with these “minor” characters because of the life and the humor that they brought to the movie. The same is doubly true in Rio 2. In my opinion, the plot in Rio 2 was not as strong as the original so it needed to be funnier and wittier than the first one did. This movie is definitely witty and most of the humor and wit comes from these three characters.

There were a few ...

• Rio 2: An Animated Movie Directed by Carlos Saldanha
      things about the movie that I didn’t quite like however:

1. The Number of Songs: The first Rio movie didn’t seem to have nearly as much singing as this one did. I knew it had a couple of singing scenes, but it seemed to rely more on a solid story plot. However, Rio 2 wasn’t quite that way. It had quite a bit of singing and although my kids enjoyed it, it was tough for my husband and I to get through.

2. Animation: The color in Rio 2 was just as bright and varied as the first movie was, but I felt like the animation was not quite as good as the first one. I felt like the original Rio had more line definition when it came to the birds, particularly in the feathers.

The colors on the first one were more subdued but still brilliant. The second movie doesn’t seem to have the same focus on quality of drawing and color to me. I felt like they skipped the details and tried to cover it up with a huge blast of color.

That being said, I did still enjoy the movie. My kids loved it, and since we own the first one I will be sure to buy this one when it comes out.

Overall, I rate this movie an 8. I took two points off for the sheer number of songs, and for the lack of detail in the animation. However, the color, the characters, and the plot were good. I recommend this to those who have children and who enjoyed the first Rio movie.

Savannah says :

Thanks for the review. My daughter wanted to see this, though we did not see the first one. Now I am curious to see the difference in detail between the two for myself while I’m sure that she’ll enjoy both either way :-)

Jennifer Davis replies :

Hi, My kids loved it and did not notice the difference in the animation. I still recommend it, but just be ready for a brightly colored musical. :)

Azriel says :

I watched Rio Part 1 and it was indeed a very fun movie. I like musicals but I think there was a lot of improvements in the Rio 1 that needs to be addressed especially when there are scenes are less interesting. Maybe they have done better with part two and if its brightly colored as it was, It sure is another round of great eye candy scenes. Thanks for this review

Jennifer Davis replies :

Hi Azriel I am glad that you liked my review. Rio 1 was a great movie, but I do agree that Rio 2 was definitely brightly colored.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1121071635630431/k2311a0721/7.21.14