The Hunger Games: Catching Fire movie  » Movies  »
4.7
  • And because, for me, Catching Fire was the best book in the trilogy, I had high expectations for the movie
  • Hats off to the actors for they definitely gave the characters justice
  • I have to mention that I was impressed with their choices especially with Lynn Cohen as Mags, Sam Claflin as Finnick and Jena Malone as Johanna
  • The scene with the poisonous fog in the arena was amazing
  • I was also a bit disappointed that they didn’t gave much emphasis to how Peeta proposed, and as well as the explanation of their “secret wedding”—that whole tradition in District 12

• by blackslip010

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire movie, the second of the four movies of the Hunger Games, was released on November of 2013. It was starred by Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth. This production was under its new director, Francis Lawrence.

As a fan of the Hunger Games trilogy, I can’t help but to compare the movie to the book. Of course, any fan would want to make sure that the movie gave justice to the book. And because, for me, Catching Fire was the best book in the trilogy, I had high expectations for the movie.

After watching the film three times on its first week of release, I have to say that it is a good movie. Great effects, especially the with the scene with poisonous fog. That is close to how

I imagined it while reading the book. Hats off to the actors for they definitely gave the characters justice. The production definitely gave time in considering details when choosing the actors. I have to mention that I was impressed with their choices especially with Lynn Cohen as Mags, Sam Claflin as Finnick and Jena Malone as Johanna. They gave what the book described to be, what they look like and what they’re personalities are—they got that right. Of course, the main actors already proved they gave life to the characters in film since the first movie. Their acting was great.

But in terms of book to movie adaptation, I was not that satisfied. It was okay, the parts that they did adapt in film were spectacular. The scene with the poisonous fog in the arena was amazing; it surpassed what I have imagined while reading the book.

But here’s the thing that I didn’t like about the film; it has a lot of missing essential details. Like for one, there was no build up about the existence of District 13. The entire scene with Bonnie and Twill was deleted. Not even a glimpse about it. I don’t know if that’s they’re style, to just shock the audience at the end that District 13 exists and that it plays a huge role in the rebellion. That works for those who haven’t read the book. But for us who actually read it, it didn’t feel right to just reveal the existence of District 13 though just one dialogue. The whole time that Katniss was struggling with pacifying the districts,

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire movie
      the idea that District 13 plays a huge role in her difficulty.

The second thing that was lacking was the thing with Peeta and the entire love triangle. Catching Fire is where there is confusion within Katniss regarding her feelings towards Gale and Peeta. Her struggle was not clearly shown in the movie. It honestly just looks as if Katniss transfers from one guy to the other. The scenes that involve Gale were all there, I think, but where did all the scenes with Peeta go? Why is the scene wherein Katniss and Peeta work on the book of plants not present? As well as their other heartwarming-slash-heart clenching moments were not included. I’m just hoping that the production will do some sort of flashbacks on the next movie—showing the highly awaited Katniss

and Peeta moments.

It was also weird that they didn’t show much about the wedding preparations. There was a scene where Plutarch suggested showing the districts that Katniss Everdeen is one of them—by making everything about her engagement. But no, nothing about the wedding preparations. They just jumped to the announcement of the Quarter Quell.

I was also a bit disappointed that they didn’t gave much emphasis to how Peeta proposed, and as well as the explanation of their “secret wedding”—that whole tradition in District 12. This goes back to the lack of scenes concerning Peeta. For me, the love triangle that was very evident in the book, was not that emphasized in the movie.

But still, it was entertaining. The acting and effects were awesome. It was a good movie. But a good adaptation? I’m not that convinced.

chams says :

re : And because, for me, Catching Fire was the best book in the trilogy, I had high expectations for the movie
Thas book was awesome and we can be inside the storie when we read it Just thank for the man who created that book )

Terry says :

I really enjoyed this trilogy, but I must admit Catching Fire was my favorite for multiple reasons. The movie itself didn’t disappoint and all in all I was happy with what they did with it.

Mauna Locca says :

Catching Fire is an excellent movie. From the big screen to the DVD, I have watched it so many times. Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen is unforgettable. I don’t think any other actress can play the role. Peeta is so authentic.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1110071635060431/k2311a0710/7.10.14