Driving Miss Daisy (movie)  » Movies  »
  • When I finally got to watch the movie, just a few months ago I wasn’t disappointed at all
  • As a matter of fact, I thought that it ended so beautifully that it is still etched into my mind
  • This movie got a fairly good rating on its IMDB, and I have to agree judging from both Tandy and Freeman’s stellar performances
  • For example, the issue of race, colour and equality is elaborated on time after time in the movie through the use of bombings, the media and even the way how people treat Daisy’s harmless Driver Hoke
  • I would definitely recommend this movie to people since it really explores the essence of human nature and friendship

• by Redtape

One of those movies that I had always heard people talking about but I never got to watch was “Driving Miss Daisy”, and so of course I always knew I had to see it whenever I had the chance to. I didn’t actually know what it was supposed to be about, but I always heard about the amount of awards, recognitions and good ratings it received. When I finally got to watch the movie, just a few months ago I wasn’t disappointed at all. As a matter of fact, I thought that it ended so beautifully that it is still etched into my mind.

The movie “Driving Miss Daisy” takes place in

the American South in the course of the early nineteen sixties to when Daisy passes away in the early nineteen seventies. A little after the movie begins, Daisy, who is played by the actress Jessica Tandy, crashes her car and her son hires a chauffeur, Hoke Coleburn, for her, who is also played by the actor Morgan Freeman. Daisy and her driver have a rather strange but close relationship which only grows over the years, despite the rather racially tense and prejudiced environment that they live in. She even teaches him to read when she finds out that the chauffeur is illiterate. Their relationship grows some more until Daisy begins to suffer from dementia in her old age until the end, when we see Hoke feeding her at the retirement home.

This movie got a fairly good rating on its IMDB, and I have to agree judging from both Tandy and Freeman’s stellar performances. I loved Jessica Tandy’s performance since the emotion that she conveys feels almost tangible. However, at the same time it’s not exaggerated, it’s subtle enough to be completely believable. For me it even evoked a sense of Déjà vu, since I’ve known one older person with a similar personality to Daisy.

I also loved Morgan Freeman’s performance as Hoke, since he perfectly portrayed his character as almost the polar opposite ...

• Driving Miss Daisy (movie)
      of Daisy without coming off as fake and slimy like some actors tend to do in these roles. There was something rather effortless about his acting too, and I truly believe that he was robbed of an Oscar that time. Despite all of that though, the chemistry between Freeman and Tandy help make the movie even better.

A part from the performances there were many other things that helped make this movie a masterpiece. For example, I just loved the way that certain themes were conveyed, which I felt helped to tell the story in their way and contribute more to character development. For example, the issue of race, colour and

equality is elaborated on time after time in the movie through the use of bombings, the media and even the way how people treat Daisy’s harmless Driver Hoke. It is the non-verbal clues that show us how strong their relationship is to survive the tense environment and society’s expectations.

While I might not necessarily recommend the movie to children as a result of some mature themes, I wouldn’t completely write it off since it does not have as many curse words, and I don’t remember seeing much, or scenes of a sexual nature in it.

I would definitely recommend this movie to people since it really explores the essence of human nature and friendship.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1110071635010431/k2311a0710/7.10.14