New York Color Classic Brow & Liner Pencils
  • When I decided to start filling in my eyebrows a few years ago, I made a trip to Wal-Mart for the products I needed
  • I'm on a budget, so I prefer not to spend more than a few bucks on something like a pencil
  • I've never had a problem sharpening these
  • For what they cost, I feel it is well worth it
  • I would definitely recommend them, at least for the outlining of the eyebrow

• by Blanca

When I decided to start filling in my eyebrows a few years ago, I made a trip to Wal-Mart for the products I needed. At the top of my list was an eyebrow pencil. I didn’t know anything about brow pencils at the time, so I really didn’t know exactly what I was looking for. There was a little basket of brow pencils on a wall of the cosmetics isle that caught my eye. The price sticker said they were ninety-nine cents each, so I decided I’d try it out.

I can’t say I was disappointed. I still use this pencil when doing my brows. That’s not to say it’s

perfect, though. First, you aren’t getting as much product as you might think.

These are relatively long pencils. They are just over seven inches long. Contrary to the way it looks, you’re only getting about four inches worth of product in the pencil. The bottom of the pencil is hollow.

I was really disappointed about this. Since I was only trying the pencil out, I only bought one the first time. While I’m in the process of filling in my brows, I go to sharpen the pencil to complete my second eyebrow, and there was no product left! I was under the impression that I still had just under half

of the pencil left. Once you know where the product ends and you can be prepared by having more than one pencil at a time, in case you run out, it’s not so bad.

But it was a horrendous surprise the first time. This pencil seems a bit waxy to me and, if applied too heavily, can give the appearance of something drawn with a crayon. I find that it works well for outlining the brow area, but when it comes to the actual filling in part, you’d be better off with something different. If I use this pencil for anything more than outlining, I end up looking like ...

• New York Color Classic Brow & Liner Pencils
      I smeared candle wax on top of my eyebrows.

I can also feel the build up of the wax in my eyebrow. For me, the positive outweighs the negative. I’m on a budget, so I prefer not to spend more than a few bucks on something like a pencil. For less than a dollar, these really aren’t that bad.

You can buy a handful and be stocked for a long time, all for a few bucks. Another plus is that these weren’t a hassle to sharpen. I’ve used pencils that refused to sharpen to a point. Either the tip completely falls off or it’s rigid and uneven.

I’ve never had

a problem sharpening these. A few twists and I always have a smooth, sharp pointed pencil for outlining my brows. Overall, these do what they need to do. For what they cost, I feel it is well worth it.

One of these usually lasts me a month, which means I can spend around twelve dollars and be set for an entire year. As I said, I am on a budget but if you’re like me and you want something that is going to do the job without putting a dent in your bank account, give these a try. I would definitely recommend them, at least for the outlining of the eyebrow.

Lydia says :

re : When I decided to start filling in my eyebrows a few years ago, I made a trip to Wal-Mart for the products I needed
I do not think it is right to go to any supermarket (such as Walmart) for makeup. It is cheap but usually (in my experience) not good quality. I go online, to places like elf, boots, super drug…

Blanca replies :

Not all of us can afford good quality makeup brands.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 319071634980431/k2311a079/7.9.14