Calico County, Home Cooking Restaurant, Fort Smith, AR  » Restaurants  »
2401 S 56th St, Fort Smith, AR 72903 USA
  • Every time that I pass through Fort Smith, I try to stop by Calico County for some delicious home cooking
  • The most interesting thing is probably the sign
  • While I love this restaurant, it definitely lacks in appearance and atmosphere
  • This place serves up the best home cooking I've ever tasted in a restaurant

• by Dan R.

Calico County is a staple restaurant for the Fort Smith area. Every time that I pass through Fort Smith, I try to stop by Calico County for some delicious home cooking. It’s only a couple of minutes away from the interstate, which makes it a perfect destination for a traveler like myself. You have to know what you’re getting yourself into when you visit this restaurant, as almost every menu item is fried, but if you are prepared to eat and not watch your calorie count, then Calico County is the place for you.

The appearance of

the restaurant is like a local version of a Cracker Barrel. The walls are covered with antique signs, old pictures, framed displays of local championship high school teams, Arkansas Razorback paraphernalia, among other things. The restaurant is adorned with copper ceilings, carpeted floors, and old fashioned wooden tables. The interior of the restaurant is very cluttered and doesn’t really give you the warm, homey feel that you would expect from a place like this. There are a lot of lights so it’s pretty bright. The exterior is plain brick. The most interesting thing is probably the sign. While I love this restaurant, it definitely lacks in appearance and atmosphere.

The service was very good. The waitress that waited on me took my order quickly. The food came quickly and she came by to check on me several times. The glasses here are upwards of 40 ounces so there was no need for her to refill my glass. The service was good and friendly.

The food is really what makes this restaurant worth your while. On the last occasion I was here, I was traveling alone. I can’t come here without ordering the chicken fried steak so ...

• Calico County, Home Cooking Restaurant, Fort Smith, AR
      I got the chicken fried steak. For the sides, I ordered the macaroni and cheese and the mashed potatoes and gravy. A dinner roll is included with the meal. The one downside of the menu is that it lacks variety. Almost every appetizer and entrée is fried. Even some of their sandwiches are fried. Everything they fry is unbelievably good, but I wish that there were a few healthier options. The food I ordered was incredible. The chicken fried steak was tender and flavorful and the white gravy that topped it was also very good. The sides
      were both fantastic and tasted fresh made and the roll was homemade and delicious. This place serves up the best home cooking I’ve ever tasted in a restaurant. Everything you get tastes just like your grandmother made it. The prices are reasonable for what you get and the portions are big.

Overall, this is a must-visit restaurant if you are in Fort Smith. Don’t go expecting to eat healthy when you are here, but the food is fabulous. I only wish that there were a few more healthy options and that the interior was a little more tastefully decorated.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 77071634790131/k2311a077/7.7.14