Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake Lens
  • It definitely made me move more to get the right composition
  • The lens does not have IS, so I usually attempt to keep the shutter speed at at least 1/60 to avoid any blur
  • I actually like it very much, and have found myself shooting in MF just for fun I love it so much

• by Gunnar Campbell

The 40mm “pancake” lens from Canon is the first prime pancake lens that Canon has released.

I purchased this lens about 5 days ago, and I took it with me on vacation to Asheville, NC. I used it to do some street photography on my EOS 70d.

Keep in mind when purchasing this lens that if you are not shooting with a full frame DSLR then the focal length

will be greater than 40mm. For example, my 70d has a 1.6 crop factor, which means that the 40mm lens was actually around a 64mm lens.

50mm is usually the standard for street photography, and at time I found the 40mm on a crop sensor camera to be a little tight. It definitely made me move more to get the right composition. Other than that this lens if FANTASTIC! For only around 150 bucks on Amazon, it is a no brainier.

The lens does not have IS, so I usually attempt to keep the shutter speed at at least 1/60 to avoid any blur. The contrast and saturation on this lens is fantastic. There is essentially no barrel distortion, and the vignetting is barely noticeable and definitely negligible. The focus speed isn’t super quick, but it is defiantly ...

• Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake Lens
      not slow. It does the job and it is almost always accurate. The lens does protrude when focusing, and it does has Stepper Motor technology, which means the focusing is very silent. It does make audible noise, and is noticeable when recording.

The f/2.8 isn’t extremely good, but again, it does the job. The manual focusing ring is very intuitive, and it focuses smoothly and accurately. I actually like

it very much, and have found myself shooting in MF just for fun I love it so much.

The build quality is surprisingly very solid. There is little to no wiggle in the camera and it just feels good and solid.

Again, the price is 150 dollars. That’s insanely dirt cheap for this camera. I would say its almost a must have for any photographer, professional or amateur. Get it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2014. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 432071634630531/k2311a072/7.2.14